Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to top up the transmission fluid on my nx 2000, with the sr20de. i decided i may as well put new fluid in. my maye has a silvia and he says this is difficult, as you need a tool that is very hard to find.. i have looked yet, but from what he says it sounds like some type of welsh plug i have to take out. can anyone confirm this?

has anyone does this before? any tips/hints?

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Does the SR20DE tranny have a dipstick???(dont laugh, most gm cars dont). Fill it through there. I dont think it would be a problem. Dont quote me though, but thats how we do every car that comes into our shop.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is a little cannister that i can fill up... but i was thinking about changing it.. is there any need to change it?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am talking about gear fluid for a manual car... i dont think they have a filter..

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Oh Damn, My bad. Sorry about that I thought you meant an Auto.
Let me look in a manual I have here and Ill get back to you.
I feel so dumb!

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Ok recomended fluid change interval is 30,000mi or 24 months.
There should be drain plug on the side of the transmission down low(just about the bottom) that a 3/8" ratchet or breaker bar will fit into without a socket on it. Pull that plug to drain. To fill, reinstall that plug, then find the fill plug(same 3/8" rachet size). It is up higher on the tranny, and in front. I think its right below the clutch lever. Pull that plug out and fill the tranny till the fluid runs out of the hole. Put the plug back in and you are done. Drive and recheck.
Reasons to change -
The gear oil does break down after awhile.
Gets a lot of the metal particles out. Having some metal in the fluid is acceptable. No big pieces though.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
theres a little clear container that shows the level of something... i thought it was gear fluid but now i am thinking it is brake fluid.. it is a dark red colour thats why i thought it was gear fluid.. would the gear fluid have an indicator? and if so can i fill it up through that?

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
As I said. To do this job all of the plugs are on the tranny. The top plug where you fill it is also for checking it. The container is either brake or clutch fluid(for hydro cluthes). If you would like pics give me a holla. I have a GA, but your SR tranny should be simmilar enough for you to see what I am talking about with the pics.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Richard Humphries said:
theres a little clear container that shows the level of something... i thought it was gear fluid but now i am thinking it is brake fluid.. it is a dark red colour thats why i thought it was gear fluid.. would the gear fluid have an indicator? and if so can i fill it up through that?
:eek:

Sir!, this is the SR20 police patrol. Sir, please step away from the car. Slowly take your hands of the engine, close the hood and step away from the car. Walk away. Walk away

:p

1. The clear canister on the drivers side connected to the master brake cylinder is your brake fluid.
2. Your power steering fluid is on the passenger side near your fender and is a black canister.
3. You can not accurately check the level of fluid in a manual tranny. (Could remove the fill plug and stick a finger in it to see if you can feel it) General consensus is to fill the tranny until the gear oil begins to drip out of the fill plug. Then stop.
4. PatScottAKA99XE has fully explained what needs done.

If this seems to be a hard task, I do not think you should be working on your car without an assistant who is more knowledgable. This is just from observation of your posts.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Richard, I will presume your NX is front-whell drive like ours.

The drain plug is on the driver's side of the transmission case at the bottom. It requires a square lug to open. We Yanks would use a socket wrench; I believe it would be 1/2" but it's been a few years. I found the plug on my SR20 to be slightly larger than that, so I used a piece of soft drink can wrapped around the lug for a shim.

Before you remove the drain plug, you must remove the fill plug. It's located on the front face of the transmission case about half-way up. I believe it uses a 3/8" square lug. If you can't get that out (mine was a royal Pain In The Arse), you'll need to fill through the speedometer cable drive opening. In either case, get a funnel with a hose, at least 1/2-meter long.

It should take 3.7 litres. If you can use the fill hole, it will just start to dribble out if you pour in 4 quarts.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Richard Humphries said:
Sounds like you're looking at the power steering fluid. Tranny is on the other side of the car.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Chances are your car is gonig to be jacked up higher in the front than in the back, so if you fill it until it spills out, you'll put more than you need. Which probably wouldn't hurt anything. I bought a cheap pump that I filled with the tranny grease and pumped into the fill hole. I just kept doing that until I'd put in as much as my Haynes manual indicated was the capacity for the tranny. I've thought about finding oil drain plugs that have the same threads as the fill and drain plugs in the tranny, those square drive things suck. They're larger than 3/8" or 1/2", whichever it was. So you have to worry about stripping them out. Oh well, I guess you don't have to get in there often enough to bother.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts