Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

did a search but couldnt come up with anything. i've been having some problems with my 00 sentra 1.8 with 68,000. the service engine soon light came on so i brought it into nissan. they said it was the cat and changed it. got my car back and was driving into work the next day and the light came on again. brought it in and now they say its the thermostat and that its a big job and all. They said it isnt covered under the extended warranty and i cant afford to pay them to do it. i think they want 200. or so. well he told me that the system has to be bled after you change the thermostat there cant be any air in the system or it wont work properly. has any one changed a therm in there car or know how too. I'm getting pissed with nissan. seems like there just guessing at the prob. Also my car isnt running hot or cold and i have plenty of heat. the temp has been normal. i thought the therm would effect the temp if it were bad. any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Here's the procedure from the B15 Factory Service Manual:

Here's the procedure for replacing the coolant:

Lew

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cooler Thermostat wanted for QG18DE

I believe stock thermostats for our cars are rated 190-195 deg F ?
(2002 Sentra GXE 1.8L QG18DE)

IMO, that's way too Hot and the only reason Nissan went that high was to earn Federal Emissions brownie points.
The only thing a 195 thermostat does for ME here in California is cook my oil faster and gimme heat soak.

Anyways the only Cooler thermostats I'm finding are Way over-priced "Nismo" 160 deg F.. sheeit I came across a "TRD" 160 thermostat "on special" for $45 !!
That's crazy! It's just a stamped piece of metal with a wax pellet inside for crissake!
I remember back in the day... when you could walk into any auto parts store and pay like a few bucks for any temp rating of your choice! ..160, 165, 170, 175, etc..

Does anybody out there know of a good source that sells Cooler Thermostats at a reasonable price?
(somewhere between $45 "Nismo/TRD", and not an el-cheapo Ebay model)

Thanks and happy tuning,

-tony22r
Apple Valley, California 92307
-----
'02 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.8L (QG18DE), 5-spd
MODS: ghetto airbox mod, UR underdrive pulley, blocked-off EGR

·
Registered
200 Posts
tony22r said:
I believe stock thermostats for our cars are rated 190-195 deg F ?
(2002 Sentra GXE 1.8L QG18DE)

IMO, that's way too Hot and the only reason Nissan went that high was to earn Federal Emissions brownie points.
The only thing a 195 thermostat does for ME here in California is cook my oil faster and gimme heat soak.

Anyways the only Cooler thermostats I'm finding are Way over-priced "Nismo" 160 deg F.. sheeit I came across a "TRD" 160 thermostat "on special" for $45 !!
That's crazy! It's just a stamped piece of metal with a wax pellet inside for crissake!
I remember back in the day... when you could walk into any auto parts store and pay like a few bucks for any temp rating of your choice! ..160, 165, 170, 175, etc..

Does anybody out there know of a good source that sells Cooler Thermostats at a reasonable price?
(somewhere between $45 "Nismo/TRD", and not an el-cheapo Ebay model)

Thanks and happy tuning,

-tony22r
Apple Valley, California 92307
-----
'02 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.8L (QG18DE), 5-spd
MODS: ghetto airbox mod, UR underdrive pulley, blocked-off EGR

Tony22r,

Nissan Therostat 76.5C which equils to 169.7F for the (QG18DE) any help to you?

Stock Nissan part number 21200-6M400 $18.00 plus tax for years 00 - 04 :cheers:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wanted: 160-170 thermostat for QG18DE

no1see2me said:
Nissan Therostat 76.5C which equils to 169.7F
um... 76.5 deg C = 185 deg F.
But this gives me something to work with, thanks.

I know 160-170 thermostats come with, or are required with, many supercharger kits, hypertech cpus, lots of advanced timing, etc.

I'm in California, so I wanna run as cool as I can get away with.. without tripping my SES light.
..especially during summer months when my AC is on full blast, 120 F outside, inching along some SoCal freeway during "rush" hour, with the needle on the temp gauge climbing...

160 F = 64.0 C
170 F = 69.0 C
180 F = 74.0 C
185 F = 76.5 C
190 F = 79.0 C
--------------
(F - 32) / 2 = C

Happy tuning & ride safe,
-tony22r

·
Registered
1 Posts
lshadoff said:

Lew

Lew can you resend the above info that you posted on 10-13-04. I'm having the same problem. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
RE: nissan sentra 2002 thermostat repalcement

lshadoff said:

Lew
Hey Lew,

Do you still have those images/instructions? Looks like I could use them desperately.

Thanks!

-anomalydetected

·
Registered
12 Posts
tony22r said:
um... 76.5 deg C = 185 deg F.
I'm in California, so I wanna run as cool as I can get away with.. without tripping my SES light.
..especially during summer months when my AC is on full blast, 120 F outside, inching along some SoCal freeway during "rush" hour, with the needle on the temp gauge climbing...
-tony22r

Haha theres no traffic in apple valley, c'mon, get down on the 10 near covina, thats traffic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
do not change to a lower temp than OEM, i am a Lexus tech and i do understand that alot of people want to go to a cooler thermostat. each engine is designed to run at a certain temperature and if you lower that, the engine never reaches its optimum performance temp. all your going to do is lessin you engine performance and increase you emission levels. if you need to replace the thermostat use OEM temp rating only

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you for the precision . I do buy a 170 degree at my Nissan dealer for 22$ to replace my 170 that came with the car new .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts