Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im wanting to see how i would change my clear gage lights to blue im thinking that it would look pretty cool if i knew how to do this

·
Registered
23 Posts
97/200sxse/wack said:
hey im wanting to see how i would change my clear gage lights to blue im thinking that it would look pretty cool if i knew how to do this
I would reccomend just getting a glow gauge kit, you can try changing the bulbs out, the easiest way to access the cluster (and the fastest is like this).
Remove the lower cover below the steering column (the one with the fuse panel lid in it, there are like 4 screws securing it. Remove the cover for the steering column/shaft (two 10mm bolts I think), then remove the two 12mm steering column bolts to drop the cover. The column will now drop, sounds crazy but I can do this in like 10 minutes or less I've done it so many times, next pull the two screws out from the top of the cluster holder (look up at the area in front of the clear cover) slide that out and set it aside. The cluster removes with four screws that hold it in place, undo them and pull the cluster out, there should be pletny of extra wire there to help you access the light bulbs they just twist out. You could try ordering a set of bulb covers from Autometer you can usually get those from Jeg's or Summit, or try finding a blue bulb. This is also a good time to check all the connections on the back of your cluster that hold the gauges in to the printed circuit board. MAke sure these are tight, b14's are notorious for these loosening up especially after being disturbed (my gas guage quit working after glow guage install, I had to go back and tighten the screws up to get a good connection again even though I never removed or touched those screws). The expansion and contraction of that plastic in hot and cold conditions causes that.

Test your lights and reassembly is reverse of what you just did.

·
Registered
23 Posts
97/200sxse/wack said:
thanks buddy sounds cpmplicated but ill give it a try

It's not that hard at all, just take your time and keep all your screws and bolts together with their associated parts, that'll take the confusion out of it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Just to let you know that you need to buy good bulbs for that, i bought some blue bulbs and in a short time they looked green. I then tried bright white LED bulbs and they were sweet looking (as would the blue LED). It's not hard i can change mine in 10-15 minutes.

·
a constipated monkey
143 Posts
im not sure about their availability in blue, but I have 4 red polarg b1 hybrid bulbs(194s) in my gauge cluster. I have them installed for about 6 months and they have yet to fade. The radio's illumination is red too, so the overall affect is striking. The difference in wattage between the stock bulbs and the polargs are 2 watts per bulb, so i dont think toasting the cluster is a problem

·
Registered
208 Posts
lights

I'm acutally looking to do the same mod. I like the stock gauges, just want to change the lighting. Are there any particular bulbs (watts, size, etc) that I should look for??

If anyone can direct to a good source it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
All you need to do is search google for 194 led. Do not use bulbs. They burn out and fade over a small amount of time. Then they look like POO...
Then once you get them.
Unscrew the gauge bezel.
Remove the four screws holding the actual gauge cluster in.
On the back of the cluster you will see 4 orange plug looking thigs. Turn thoes counter clockwise, then pull and they should come right out.
Remove bulbs with blue condoms on them, and replace with your new leds.
Put everything back together, and whaa laaa, you have a different color cluster.
This works a lot better with the white faced/ clear needle combo. But if you have orange needles, it still looks pretty good.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nostrodomas said:
All you need to do is search google for 194 led. Do not use bulbs.
Does it matter how many bulbs are on each LED?? I am seeing anywhere from 1 to 4 bulbs per cluster.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Im not sure if the multiples will fit, im assuming they do. I used the single large leds. I would try the multiple ones, but I dont have my b14's anymore.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nostrodomas said:
Im not sure if the multiples will fit, im assuming they do. I used the single large leds. I would try the multiple ones, but I dont have my b14's anymore.

cool, appreciate all your help man.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nostrodomas said:
No problem. When you get them installed, check back and let us know how it went. I would liek to know if the multiple ones work.
I think they should work, alot of the multiple bulb clusters were just smaller bulbs that were equal to one normal size. I ordered a cluster of 5, so we'll see how it goes. It's ground shipping so who knows when it will arrive, but as soon as it does I'll install them and take some pictures.

·
Registered
208 Posts
97/200sxse/wack said:
well im going to go for the leds so the bulbs wont fade or what not but the gauges look pretty good but blue will be tight

I ordered mine from superbrightleds.com, just fyi.

·
Da Dirty South
115 Posts
Its funny that you say that, becuase when i put it all back together the temp guage stoped working, replacing with dual guage pod and Pro Comp guages. I had to readjust the fuel guage. Other than that there was no problem.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nissan200sx said:
I'd recommend the 4 color guage kit by Pro Car Parts.com. For $50 includes S&H, its a great deal.
That was my initial thought too 200, but I started looking at my ride. It's black with all black interior. It's very stealth like (or maybe nightrider like, minuts the red leds across the front) I really like the black gauges with the white numbers and would rather keep that and put a little blue backlit effect on it. I've got some rice speakers that light up blue in the doors aswell, ya ya, I know, be nice.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts