Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i changed my belts and while i was changing it a slow leak came from behind the main pulleys. since the water pump is above it, im guessing thats where the coolant is coming out of.

the coolant doesnt drip fast unless the car is running. what do you guys think? is the pump bad or is there some kind of gasket that i need to replace? the car doesnt overheat unless there is stop and go driving

·
Registered
217 Posts
on the side of the water pump you will find a small hole about 1/8 to 3/16" in diameter. this is the weep hole, and coolant will leak through it when the main shaft seal has failed. look at the weep hole with a flashlight. if it's coming from there, then yes, you need a water pump. you can get a brand new lifetime warranty water pump through auto zone for about $30. if it's leaking at the mating surface between the pump and the timing cover, then you may just need to replace the gasket. I like to use the ultra blue or ultra gray silicone for gaskets instead of pre-cut ones. in my opinion, they last longer and are far more reliable.

also, check the thermostat housing, which is just to the left of the water pump, as there are two mating surfaces, water pump to thermostat housing, and thermostat housing to thermostat cover. have fun replacing that if you need to.

if you still can't narrow it down, you have a few more choices. easiest is you can rent a pressure tester from a parts store and pressurize the cooling system through the radiator cap. you should see coolant seeping. you can also buy ultraviolet dye additives that can be added to the coolant. run the engine for a few hours or so, then shine a blacklight around the engine. wherever it glows is your leak.

Dan

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
If the coolant leaks from around the water pump then it's just the seal around it that needs replacement. When you get coolant from around the bearing of the pump then you'll need a new one. Usually this is accompanied by that whirring noise which is pretty obvious. Check the belt adjustment on the new pump.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys.

is it difficult to replace the water pump?

also, this weep hole, is it on the firewall side? top or bottom? thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts