Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do ceramic or thermal coatings actually do wonders on exhaust systems? I've heard about these coatings that give you 3%-15% more hp like JET-HOT that coat the inside and outside of the product such as manifolds, headers, exhausts. Are these rumors true? Also, do these coatings help with intake manifolds, CAI's, engines, heads, outside of catylitic converters, mufflers, etc?

·
HYDYST?
113 Posts
Thermal coatings will keep the heat in. Swain's white lighting thermal barrier has gotten good feedback.
Ceramic coatings are good protection, but don't stop heat like a true thermal coating.
Generally, coatings work with radiated heat, they wont stop conducted heat. ie From being attached to the block like an intake manifold.
Turbos and headers are the favorite things to thermal coat. I don't know to what exent thermal coating helps their performance, but it certainly cuts down on under hood temps which helps with longevity of other components.
Naji did a CAI wrap experiment. http://www.geocities.com/n_dahi/ click on cai wrap.
I don't know of anyone who has coated their cat.
This is all IIRC. If any of this is monkey, I'm sure someone will correct me.:)

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
peter96 said:
Thermal coatings will keep the heat in. Swain's white lighting thermal barrier has gotten good feedback.
Ceramic coatings are good protection, but don't stop heat like a true thermal coating.
Generally, coatings work with radiated heat, they wont stop conducted heat. ie From being attached to the block like an intake manifold.
Turbos and headers are the favorite things to thermal coat. I don't know to what exent thermal coating helps their performance, but it certainly cuts down on under hood temps which helps with longevity of other components.
Naji did a CAI wrap experiment. http://www.geocities.com/n_dahi/ click on cai wrap.
I don't know of anyone who has coated their cat.
This is all IIRC. If any of this is monkey, I'm sure someone will correct me.:)
That CAI wrap helped with 15 degrees, isn't the rule of thumb: for every 10degrees lower temperature, 1% power increase? If so, you'd only be gaining 1-1/2 hp? So what would be the best performance gain for the money? I think exhausts cost $10/ft for the coatings, headers/turbos about $150, and intake manifold $100. I could be mistaken with these prices. Or would it be better to just do all the work in the head/block and forget about the external stuff (except the header, gotta have low underhood temps to keep alternators from dieing!)?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts