Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Nissan Friends!
I am in need of some advice. And I hope my explanation will be understood and will get some replies.

Anyway, I have owned my 2005 pathfinder for 3.5 years and it has been pretty good to me, I say pretty good Because I keep running into problems with my catalytic converters, in march 2014 , I decided to have them replaced cause I had both codes p0420 and p0430, and made it through emission fine, and then again in February 2015, but this time they were still under warranty, so it i was free, and from then it was pretty good to me, minus the few air leak that were caused due to the mechanic not tightening manifold bolts, well just this past weekend I received the p0430 which is the left cat. short story, took back to place to have them replace them cause of the guarantee they told me upon purchase, well new owners, and wont honor the previous owners, and its $950 for parts and labor for the one cat.
Decided that I'm going to fix it myself with the help of family and a neighbor with a car hoist.

but what brand should I be looking at that will last the longest/most durable? Mainly looking at RockAuto Parts.

Don't plan to live in California or New York in the near future. and have replaced the spark-plugs when the 2nd set of cats failed, and only use premium gas (91).
The oil level is perfect and is not a creamy color, and stay on top of maintenance.

I am seriously confessed as to why I'm having so much trouble.
I live in a smaller town, so don't get great mileage in the city. like 12-14 and 17-19 on the freeway when I do travel to the city.

So any advice will be taken gladly, and same with any suggestions!

And when i do purchase a cat. what else do i need to consider to buy to make it less of a hassle on the day of install? (gaskets/seals, nuts bolts....)

Thanks You So Much in advance!

----countingwizard4

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,020 Posts
Is it possible they reused your old 02 sensors each time they replaced the cat(s)? If so that is the first thing I would be looking to replace, especially if the engine seems to be running fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do remember that they were replaced after the second time of having them replaced. but they did a test on the cat, and results were that the cat was under spec, and asked them about the o2 if it was bad. and they said no.

do you think I should order o2 sensors and see if it fixes it or since the o2 sensors seem to be fine assume its the cat.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,020 Posts
My understanding is that those codes can be caused by bad or failing 02 sensors. If it is the catalytic converter(s) something is fouling them that needs fixing. They should last a long time. Its why the have a long warranty period of 8+ years. But I guess replacements are only guaranteed for one year.
Smj999smj is the Pathfinder expert here and I think he owns the same model you have. Hopefully he sees this and responds, or try and send him a private message.

Replacing them for a fourth time would seem nuts to me. When they changed the o2's did they use NTK? You have four of them

NTK 24320 5-Wire Wideband
Fits Upstream Left; B2S1
Or Upstream Right; B1S1 66.79 each US dollars at RockAuto

NTK 24244
Downstream Left; B2S2; OE MFR: NTK $72.99 US

and NTK 24247
Downstream Right; B1S2; OE MFR: NTK $113.79 US

They should probably all be changed for age reasons alone if they are original. Its over 300 for you just for those... hope you can fix it without spending a fortune.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know if they replaced with that brand, I will call and see what they did. but I do remember so what ever reason they didnt give me any paper work saying that they replaced the cats when i had it in for the second time. so my guess is they wont have anything on it either. they wanted it out of their hair so they just paid for it to get me out the door. dont know if thats what they did, but thats what its feeling like.

but ill message Smj999smj and link him to this and ask his opinion.

also, I dont know if where you live they have the ethanol free 88 octane gas, but would that make a difference in switching to that, or is 91 ethanol free also?

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,431 Posts
Usually if the air/fuel ratio sensors or oxygen sensors fail, they will typically trigger a code on these vehicles (not always, but most of the time). I always go with NTK sensors or Denso. It's usually a good idea to at least change the front sensor on the respective bank when replacing an upstream catalytic converter, if the sensor has a lot of time or mileage on it. At the very least, it's not a bad idea to do a component check with an ohmmeter to make sure it's within specs.

Failed upstream catalytic converters are certainly not unheard of in R51 Pathfinders, but it's not common to have to go through several of the same converter. If going aftermarket, I'll choose Walker or Bosal brand. Some aftermarket converters don't seem to break down the emissions as good as they need to in order to pass the ECM's test of the catalytic converters. It's also important to make sure new gaskets are used and there are no exhaust leaks; I'll usually put a little Permatex Ultra Copper RTV sealant on the exhaust "O" rings and gaskets. If both banks are triggering catalyst codes at the same time, then it would be a good idea to check the fuel pump pressure, check for intake leaks or a faulty/dirty Mass Air Sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So just wanted to make a quick update on the Cat. So recently made a trip down to salt lake city from Logan, UT (which is about 100 miles) anyways when I fueled up to come back I decided to put 88 ethanol free gas, in a pretty much empty tank, in salt lake the 88 was cheaper but close to the price of 91. well needless to say of this past week with having the 88 gas in, It Fixed Itself! The dash light is no longer on and am getting better gas mileage.

So I still don't totally understand why, but if your having issues with your Cat giving you problems, try putting some pure gas (Ethanol Free) for a tank or two.

and also was wondering if someone wouldn't mind giving a run down of what the ethanol does and how it changes the octane levels, I tried to search and understand it, but wasn't able to grasp any of it.

Thanks a Bunch, Will definitely be keeping a hold of this thread!

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,020 Posts
That is great news countingwizard. Were you always filling up at the same gas station before? Makes me wonder if you were getting bad gas with problems before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I'm very happy to not have to worry about that. But there are two gas stations that I use more frequently then others, one being a large chain in the west named Maverik, and the other, a mom and pop place that uses Phillips 66. I was getting 91 octane at both places and have for a long time. but how I decided to try the ethanol free 88. I was talking with my dad about it, and decided to give it a try when heading back to Logan, UT from Salt lake, UT. Anyways, still a mystery to me as to why that would work.

But Thank you for the help in the mean time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts