Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!!!! I have been hearing this anoying clinking/rattling sound coming from the catalic converter for the past 2 weeks.... Its weird cuss it only does it from 2000 to 3000 RPMs.... I was just wondering if cats can break on the inside or if they just go bad... I figure it can break considering its porsalin on the inside. But have any of yall had yours go bad??? Im at 100.000 miles so could it be cloging????? Thanks for any imput!!!!!!!!:D

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
internal breakdown of cat, not too strange for a high mileage car, what year is your car again??? is it under the car or under the hood???also consider changing out the o2 sensors as well if you haven't yet.......

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its under the car. and my car is a 98.... peeps who owned it before me used it for pizza delivery :mad:

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Shouldn't be happening w/just 100K, but tap your cat with a hammer and see if it rattles.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i was asking if you could break it cuss i bottomed outin a frends drive way and put a big dint i the cat but i also wanted to know if it wares out ver time...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't know about that one

But my car has 100,000 also, and from time to time I got to get
underneath it and throw some radiator screw clamps on my exhaust pipes heat shields.I have to tighten them up to get rid of the rattling from rusting places where they connect cause their loose. About 2 years ago, I hear this thin metal banging noise going down the road all of a sudden, pulled into a parking lot and looked underneath, and saw my cat. heat shield cover hanging with only two of four mounts hold it.At that point I just knocked it off. Check your exhaust real good, some of my heat shields would only make noises at certain RPM's to. And yes, Michigan is the heartland of the rust belt. I just find it amusing that the big three are headquartered here.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah, just take of the heat shields. Be careful if you mess with the heat shields after the headers and before the cat. You might create a hole like I did.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont know about yalls but mine bolts on in the front of the cat but the back is welded on:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts