Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, posting this for my uncle who has a 04 Pathfinder LS. His cel came on about a month ago and after getting code pulled, turns out both his cat converters have failed. Sounded kind of weird to me that both would fail at same time but the car does have almost 130k miles. Obviously he got quoted an ridiculous amount of money for replacements from dealership ($700+ i believe) so I'm looking to see if anyone is parting out a pathfinder or anything like that. Are my chances bleak to find a used converter? or should I tell him to buy aftermarket which might be cheaper than oem?

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
I've been with Nissan for almost 9 years and we have yet to replace cats on a Pathfinder!

Who told you or your uncle the cats were "shot"?

Also, what codes were pulled?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hello Metro: I just started as a newbie on this Forum, but I have my Pathy (2001 LE 4WD) for 7 years - 113K on the clock. There are a couple of issues that perhaps you would be able to give "straight" answers on. My local Dealer (Port Chester, NY), doesn't seem to give straight answers too, in fact, like so many Dealers of all models, charge Up The Ying Yang for work NOT Necessary.

1. Can't seem to solve a water seepage into the passenger side front floor area. Cleaned out the Weep holes in the door well [pretty much very clogged]. It's happened 3 X. Took up carpet, replaced padding, cleaned everything, shampooed carpet, ran a hose over the windshield and Sun roof, can't seem to replicate the seepage???

2. Power window motors: it seems that 3 are on verge of failing. Very slow at times, the rear Driver side is the worst. How much $$$ to replace these , if necessary. Tried spraying with WD 40 on the glass so that it seeps into the motors, doesn't seem to have helped.

3. My son said that while driving up at College last year, (UMASS, Amherst, MA) a plastic piece ( some sort of shield) fell off from the bottom front. Anywhere on line to find the parts list for this??

4. Driver's side front leather seat worn, starting to rip a little. Fixable??

Thanks so much for your attention to this.....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Metro: the plastic piee that fell off from the bottom front is albelled a type of "skid plate'. Discovered elsewhere on this forum. I'm not going to replace it, as others report on the forum. Can u give your opinion on the other items, much appreciate your opinion on the issues.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have replaced a few cat. convertors on the 3.5l pathfinders. I have also seen some with both bad. Generally a cat. convertor is expected to last approx. 100,000 miles. You are not likely to find an aftermarket one to fit due to the design on that engine. Used, no chance. The scrap value for used convertors is very high. They get recycled for the platinum inside. It is so valuable that people are cutting convertors off cars on dealer lots to sell them for scrap.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Almatti - I can't help with 1,3 or 4 but I had the slow windows issue on my 02 and took it to my mechanic who took the door panel off and greased (silicone grease maybe) the moving parts and the window runs like new. It was an inexpensive fix.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the response. My Pathy at 113k with these maintenance issues is bring me toa crossroads as such:

Do I spend upwards of $2,500 to $3,000 for window motors ?, tranny & 4WD service, tune up, leather seat repair, [now the water pump is making noise] and Check Engine light keeps coming on & off (it's the O2 sensors its happened for a year), belts & hoses, and fix thumping noise [I think it's the CV joint in the front axles] OR Update by trading in and getting new or CPO ??? That is the question?? What do you guys think ??

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's a tough question. $3000.00 plus your trade would make a decent down payment on a newer one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I know mpe235, still wrestling with it. I am going for the new tires though, My son drives the Pathy and with 55K on the Michelins, tread depth is way down and showing in the recent snows we've had in the NY area. I'll save a little $$$ - getting General Grabbers HTS this time - excellent rating from Consumer reports. Michelins are too much $$$.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts