Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know any good-not too expensive cat back system ?
I saw a one on ebay for about 300$ on ebay from some company named Megan Racing (i've never heard about them, that's why i don't know if i should get that one).

I have a 99 Nissan Sentra GXE Limited Ed.

Any info will be well received, thanks !

·
Gotta Represent
403 Posts
i believe that megan racing is a japan based company, that has a reputable name, but i never knew that they made exhausts for our car. i think that you will be better off making your own exhaust, with a glasspack, and magnaflow muffler(sentra.net, go to eninge mods). or you can try to find a stromung exhaust, those are good.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
If you go to one of your local reputable muffler shops, they can fabricate you a nice 2" crush bent cat back, with your choice of muffler. The catback will run you around $70, and a Magnaflow muffler will run you around $100, all installed. So you get a good cat back system, that is not so big that you will loose power instead of gaining any. You will also have a nice low sounding exhaust tone, not all raspy and ricy. For under $200.
If you plan to buy a header soon, you might want to look into also buying a resonator, a good quality one. Since one you install the header, it will change your exhaust tone to a raspy bee machine. The res will cancel out that tone and bring you back to the low tone once again.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
the midpipe with the silencer (resonator) attached to it can't be $150 ... I just bought one for $69 shipped last week. That catback looks sweet cause its T-304 those are indestructible they'll last you longer than your car. Check the condition of the bolts where the midpipe joins the cat. sometimes they're melted so you have to cut them off and redrill 3/8" holes into the cat. Use stainless steel bolts and nuts makes everything so easy next time you decide to swap exhausts.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So...

So the Megan Racing cat back which already has the resonator for 275-300$ it's a good thing to get, i guess.

Thanks for the info people.

Also, i'm planning on getting a header, anyone knows a low-cost good one ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
just had my local exhaust shop build my cat back with, 2.5" with resonator, I bought a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler cheap through Jeg's and had them use it, my total investment including muffler, resonator pipe and installation: $225.

·
Drop-Out
1,892 Posts
godspeed said:
So the Megan Racing cat back which already has the resonator for 275-300$ it's a good thing to get, i guess.

Thanks for the info people.

Also, i'm planning on getting a header, anyone knows a low-cost good one ?
The Megan Racing cat-back is too BIG for the 1.6 engine. Do not go with anything bigger then 2inch.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
?

Nismo1997 said:
The Megan Racing cat-back is too BIG for the 1.6 engine. Do not go with anything bigger then 2inch.
It says it's made for the 1.6 specifically.

======================
UPDATE: I checked with 2 muffler shops already and noone seems to know how to make a cat back exhaust, like everyone tell me to do.

Any help please ?

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
No, he's right... 2.5 inch exhaust system on a 1.6 GA16de will lose you HP..

Compare a 2 inch exhaust system side by side with a 2.5 inch exhaust system (both on a GA16de) - the 2 inch beats out the 2.5 inch in HP.

·
Erin Go Bragh!
168 Posts
wildmane said:
No, he's right... 2.5 inch exhaust system on a 1.6 GA16de will lose you HP..

Compare a 2 inch exhaust system side by side with a 2.5 inch exhaust system (both on a GA16de) - the 2 inch beats out the 2.5 inch in HP.
True dat. A 2.5" exhaust will make your car sluggish and slow.
@ 275 bones, you're still spending too much money. You're gonna have to make some calls to find a good muffler shop, but it's well worth it.

Also think about this: you buy the expensive stuff ebay ($275 + a TON in shipping fees), bolt it up ( or pay a shop = more moolah spent!) and now your exhaust looks great and sounds pleasant. Then some Neon decides to challenge you at a red light... they take off, you putter along. Its kinda embarrassing (trust me).
Not saying that you're all about bolting off the red line... but these cars of ours make racing a permanent spot on the brain!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK...

DraftEm98 said:
@ 275 bones, you're still spending too much money. You're gonna have to make some calls to find a good muffler shop, but it's well worth it.

Also think about this: you buy the expensive stuff ebay ($275 + a TON in shipping fees), bolt it up ( or pay a shop = more moolah spent!) and now your exhaust looks great and sounds pleasant. Then some Neon decides to challenge you at a red light... they take off, you putter along. Its kinda embarrassing (trust me).
Not saying that you're all about bolting off the red line... but these cars of ours make racing a permanent spot on the brain!
Tried a third muffler shop (a big one, Monroe Muffler) one of the biggest ones in my area. They don't seem to know how to do what i need, so i'm just gonna ask you guys, literally, how to ask for this ?

One of them said they can give me a muffler pipe and that i have to get the adapter that goes from the pipe to the catalitic and another one that goes from pipe to muffler.

I don't think that's what i need, so someone please tell me what to tell them.

Also, what kind of muffler can i get for it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
The ideal exhaust for the ga16de is a 2" mandrel bent setup. Unfortunately most muffler shops can only do crush bends, so you have to buy madrel bends from somewhere then have the shop use the bends to cut and weld a mandrel bent setup.
It sounds like you're going to chain stores to try and get an exhaust. Don't do that, go to independant shops preferably ones that do performance exhausts.

Magnaflow makes good mufflers, you can get a muffler and madrel bends at summitracing.com or vrsexhaust.com.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

aminidab said:
The ideal exhaust for the ga16de is a 2" mandrel bent setup. Unfortunately most muffler shops can only do crush bends, so you have to buy madrel bends from somewhere then have the shop use the bends to cut and weld a mandrel bent setup.
It sounds like you're going to chain stores to try and get an exhaust. Don't do that, go to independant shops preferably ones that do performance exhausts.

Magnaflow makes good mufflers, you can get a muffler and madrel bends at summitracing.com or vrsexhaust.com.
Last place i tried has a mandrel bender, they can do the pipe for me, but don't know how to attach it to the catalitic.

Any help ?

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
They are morons then. All they have to do is use the stock flange from the oem exhaust system. I almost feel sorry for you, who told you that?
I would go in and ask them to do a complete cat back system in 2" mandrel bent tubing if possible, if not crush bent pipe. Crush bent will save you about $100. SInce you arent going to be squeezing every ounce of hp out of your car, any time soon anyway.
Also go with the magnaflow muffler nice deep tone.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok

Nostrodomas said:
They are morons then. All they have to do is use the stock flange from the oem exhaust system. I almost feel sorry for you, who told you that?
I would go in and ask them to do a complete cat back system in 2" mandrel bent tubing if possible, if not crush bent pipe. Crush bent will save you about $100. SInce you arent going to be squeezing every ounce of hp out of your car, any time soon anyway.
Also go with the magnaflow muffler nice deep tone.
Any magnaflow is good ? any specific good ones for my car ?

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
I like to keep everything bolt-on. It's very easy to service the exhaust that way. You replace the bad portion only when something goes bad... I hate clamps and welding. It takes me minutes to remove the whole exhaust from the car. Work from the rear of the car towards the engine when you remove it.

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
DraftEm98 said:
Don't you mean it will make it even more sluggish and slow? :D

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
here is what i know from my research.... stromung is the best, but it will run you around 550-600 beans but it sounds deep as all hell and close to stock and will produce the most ponies.. pace setter will rust within a year or two and then you will have to replace it within that time period. megan racing is more on the crappy side and people in the passed said it sounds like crap once you put a header on.. custom mandrel bent setups can be good, dependin onthe type of material they use.. varies on the stainless steels... some are more resistant then others, but a 321 and a 304 are good stainless steels and should produce some good numbers... a major dissadvantage to a custom is when you do other work on your car (ie-short shifter) you haveto remove the whole system as compared to a section

1 - 20 of 36 Posts