Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought some carbon sheets to carbon some items outside of my car. Does anyone have any good tips in forming these or applying them to curves or different areas? Any help will be great.:D

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
Hey, what is the quality on those things? Do they seem like they would last for quite some time?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have seen them before on the outside of a car. It was applied near the door panel, and it looked decent.
It seemed like it would last for a fairly long time as long as it is put on right. Im guessing they have the same lifespan as a vinyl sticker

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am thinking of applying it to the door window frame. I was thinking of clearcoating the area after I was done to shine it up and insure that it stayed. Being in Chi-town is no joke. We have Super HOTT summers and Ultra Low Winters so.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good ol' Ebay. Good quality though. The other side says the paper is from avery the people that make quality vinyl stickers. It was $40 for 4 feet.

·
Registered
672 Posts
ive had nothing but bad experiences with that kinda stuff. be sure you do it properly and with patience or youll regret spending money on it

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
carbon fiber stuff......

here goes, first use a non-abrasive solvent to clean away wax or raod crap, just clean the surface, then use some ordinary cleaning alcohol to thourouhgly clean the surface, from this point don't touch that surface, skin oils can contaminate this, then apply carbon fiber sheet and start from one end, and slowly spread it to the end, ensure there are no bubbles underneath, apply slight pressure from the center to the outside, like massaging it, and take note THAT THE CAR CAN'T BE WET FOR AT LEAST 48 HOURS, OR ELSE, moisture will get in and lift up the back, also does it have that 3m adhesive?? hope this little bit helps........

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
almost forgot.......

do they also have carbon fiber stuff for the interior?? let me know... and the installation also is also the same but it requires a hair dryer or heat gun, what ever is available.....

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you are thinking of the vylal look C/F.

If it is the vynal stuff(Which I think it might be for only 40$) The way he stated above will work for install. If it is reall C/F pre opoxied sheeting here is the break down.... And I would like the # to this guy, 40$ is a third of what I can get the stuff for!

-Take a piece of papper and tape it over the peice you would like to make.

-take a crayon and do a rubbing of the area.

-Cut out the design

-Take and spray glue the back of the paper and lay it on the C/F sheeting.

-Cut out the peice shape

-Wet sand the edges(WET SAND BECAUSE THE C/F IS SO FINE AND ALOT MORE ICHY THAN FIBERGLASS, IT WILL KEEP THE DUST DOWN.)

-Test fit the peice

-clean with alcohol

-raise 1/2" off of a flat surface

-use a self leveling apoxie and coat evenly with a bussiness card.

-let cure for 24 hours

-Resand edges and any drip areas.

-clean back side with alcohol

-Apply automotive double stick 3m addhesive to the back side of the peice

-clean the srea you wish to install your piece with alcohol

-place the peice in place.

Wala C/F accessorie!
-:D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help. I don't think it is 3M, I think it is Avery adhesive. Thanks CustomCrainium I never thought of using the paper and crayon first but that was a good tip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts