Nissan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 87 nissan sentra...it has a spinning noise when i crank it but no start wont even chug just whirring noise changed strter plugs and wires....please help.....thx

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
like I said, please learn to post in the correct forum. This is the second thread you've made in an incorrect location.

READ THE TITLE OF THE FORUM FIRST BEFORE POSTING IN IT! You don't have a b14 OR a b15 sentra.

·
Viva el iPod
1,232 Posts
jman said:
i have an 87 nissan sentra...it has a spinning noise when i crank it but no start wont even chug just whirring noise changed strter plugs and wires....please help.....thx
Doesn't sound like an ignition problem (why did you change the plug and wires?, Did you check to see if you had a spark first?), might be a problem with your starter, sounds like maybe (again MAYBE, hard to diagnose not being there 100%) the starter is not engaging. Does it start sometimes and then sometimes it doesn't or does this happen all the time?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it has never done this before...i was driving and everything was fine ....then it started stuttering and i pulled over and it dies so i changed the plugs (had to any ways) and the starter so i have no clue....its like it tries to start but it wont crank out to the engine

·
Registered
751 Posts
jman said:
it has never done this before...i was driving and everything was fine ....then it started stuttering and i pulled over and it dies so i changed the plugs (had to any ways) and the starter so i have no clue....its like it tries to start but it wont crank out to the engine
If I understand correctly, your starter spins but it's not engaging the flywheel? You may have 2 problems. When a car dies it's usually not related to the starter. Now it sounds like the new starter may be bad. Unless the flywheel has somm to do with it.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and say timing belt. Given the way things are being described, that's my conclusion. Asssuming the starter actually is engaging the flywheel, of course. That whole thing about it stuttering and dieing caught my attention, though......

·
Viva el iPod
1,232 Posts
Is it a carb'd or Throttle Body Injection (TBI has two screws on top, carb has one)?

Carbs have a cute way of failing at random, especially at this age. You may have 2 separate problems, or just one.

Sounds wierd though. Is it an auto or stick? If its a stick, try push starting it, if you manage that way, that'll tell you if you have a problem with the starter engaging the flywheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts