Nissan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
mwolvin said:
I don't recall seeing a resolution .. . .
JR88ZEDXT did post a follow up thrread.

"By the way, the problem I had why it one of the fusible link was melting; there was a short circuit in the connetor of the orange relay (Safety relay). I openned up all the wiring harnesses all the way to the ECU to the injectors and the starter but I finally found that the RED wire from this connecter was pinched by a metal clamp bolted on the engine. It was a pain and time consume process to diagnosed this problem.."

As for Zen it's a opinion like mine. Zen, you can PM for a more detail discussion if you like?

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
As for Zen it's a opinion like mine. Zen, you can PM for a more detail discussion if you like?
No worries, I wasn't making an issue. Just noting that replying in threads this old is a bit of a waste of the posters time.... I'm guessing they didn't see the original date of the thread. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
"I openned up all the wiring harnesses all the way to the ECU to the injectors and the starter but I finally found that the RED wire from this connecter was pinched by a metal clamp bolted on the engine. It was a pain and time consume process to diagnosed this problem.."

Dude where was this red wire located at? where was the clamp this guy was talkin about i've been having the same issue for over a year and i've been debating buying an ECU but this could very well be it any help would be appreciated thank you
~J

·
Registered
1 Posts
Z won't start

We are having the same problem on '87 Z turbo. swapped it from one car to another (it was running then, old car had body issues). Well got everything back together and put the juice to her. Cranks over fine but no spark from coil. Have 12v going to coil, transistor. ECU has power.

Changed out:
Distributor, coil, transistor and ECU. Still no spark. Per big Nissan maintenance manual tested coil and transistor and all is within limits. It seems if you are getting 12v to coil and transistor you should get a spark. Waiting to get a logic probe to see if ECU is pulsing on #5 wire from ECU to coil.

Diagnostic mode was not helpful.

Any further updates on this subject in the past few months.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dont know.... but this happened to me!! Stopped in Maurices BBQ in Coliumbia last night on my home from Savannah. Went in and enjoyed some real fine southern BBQ. Went out and hoped in my Z. No cranky crank!! Well Oh Sh*t!! No tools. No flashlight. S.O.L!!
Walked over to Autozone and looked through the manual. No help!! Walked back over to my Z. Wah-Lah!! S.O.B. cranked right up!!
Best I can figure..... The security system!*%#!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My "Z" is going through the same issue.. Not starting.. I left it last Friday at the mechanic and will post up the issue, since this thread has no posted solution/reason for this. Hope it will/could help someone else out.. I am currently getting her a new timing belt, new water pump, tune-up and a new battery.. Will wait and see.. and will post soon as I can.. Laterz...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well.. Got a call from the mechanic and he stated that there is an issue with the fuel injectors ... 1 and 3.. I thought there was a safety campaign.. However, the deal AND corp. told me that it doesn't apply to my VIN #.. I could have sworn that the 175 pgs of document concerning the Campaign said.. VIN # that this applied to was ALL.. Can someone verify or give me some info/advice?

·
Registered
8 Posts
so my 85 300zx is having the same problem the coil gets power but no spark does anybody know the exact location of the fusable coil? because id like to check it before i go and buy the new ignition control module. thankyou

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will bet the problem is in the Ignition switch. It is a VERY common proble with Nissans. Cranks but no start. Replace the Electrical part of the switch. (NOT the Key Switch). I have done this MANY times and worked fine. Just adding my 2 cents as a 30 year mechanic

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will bet the problem is in the Ignition switch. It is a VERY common proble with Nissans. Cranks but no start. Replace the Electrical part of the switch. (NOT the Key Switch). I have done this MANY times and worked fine. Just adding my 2 cents as a 30 year mechanic
WHERE IS the location of this "ignition switch" you're talking about??

You say you've replaced it many times and it's a known source of problems so can you PLEASE tell us where it is so we can check and replace?

Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nissan Ignition Switch Problem/ Crank no start

The switch is located on the opposite side of the key, under the plastic housing covering the steering column. Remove the 4 screws holding the plastic steering column cover and you will expose the switch. It is circular with many wires soldered on. There are 2 Philips screws holding it to the switch housing. Remove the 2 screws and follow the wires under the dash to a plug. remove the assembly and, a replacement can be found at most Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Advanced Auto Parts for under $30.00.

Let me know how you ake out

Jonathan
CErtified Mechanic 30+ years

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also, if Pep Boys, or other Auto Parts store are unavailable. I would avoid getting from Salvage yard since this is so common to these vehicles the chances of getting a good switch is poor.

You can disassemble the switch, if you have the tools and skills and, clean the burnt contacts and ake sure all connections are working using a multimeter. The part which goes bad is the connections that supply the ignition Igniter with 12v then switches to 5V when car is running

Another test you can do is to supply 12V directly to the ignition Igniter,, which is located next to the coil to test only.

Just wanted to add this tid bit of help and hope it helps someone

21 - 40 of 55 Posts