Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
for some reason i cant' start my car.
The night before.. it was running very strangly. When i was leaving work and i started it..it sounded like a desel engine ..loud and slow and it had a weird sound when i was trying to accelerate, and acceleration sucked. Even if it was in neutral and i reved up the engine it was acting and sounding like that.
THe next day the car wouldn't start so..i went and replaced
spark plugs
distributor cap ( i tried to replace the rotor but i can't get it off for some reason)
and fuel filter.
The starter is fine cause i can hear the engine turning and the rpms jumping up and down a little bit when turning the egnition key. I killed my battery so gotta recharge it.
I know the car is getting fuel because i could smell it plus couple of times the plugs got flooded so i know its getting gas.
Now that i replaced all these things i can still smell the gas but the plugs dont get flooded anymore ( im assuming thats a good thing)

Another thing is when i took off the old distributor cap i looked at the spark plug wires and they were connected in a weird order. What is the correct order to connect the wires on the distributor? I know there are numbers on the cap but when i looked at the wires originally they were not in that order ( i assumed that the numper #1 plug is the one closest to the pullys and then it goes from left to right 2,3,4 (4 being the closest one to the distributor))

·
Now w/20% More Magic
199 Posts
First insure the plug are in correct postion -- starting at the pulley side 1234
when replacing the plugs I have tended to put the number 1 plug on the number 2 on the distro (number on is a the very bottom of the distro) though I catch it quickly I at one time tried to start it in the misorder and it cause a rather unpleasent sound but never started

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so you just match up the plug numbers to the numbers on the distributor right?
If i recall correctly i think the numbers on the distr. go 4,3,1,2 (4 being the top one, then 3 then 1 (which is the bottom one) and then 2 which is the one facing the grill of the car)

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Check the distributor cap, there's a notch on it when you put it back on the distributor. That should be pointing down. Also the rotor has a side set screw that holds it in place. Your firing order is 1-3-4-2. That diesel sound you heard sounds like a bad injector. Test each one and once you get the engine running see which one is bad. Check for codes in the ECU.

·
Now w/20% More Magic
199 Posts
nevermind the picture is better then my words

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your distributor looks little bit different than mine, if im not mistaken you have a wire in the middle around the other wires, mine are just on the outside.
Anway, im pretty sure i connected the wires in the right order but it still wouldn't start.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Oops sorry my timing is at 10 BTDC... Stealth this is not a good time for you to adjust your timing if the car ran fine before and you didn't touch the distributor.

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
on the picture above matches the numbers on my distributor..but for some odd reason MagicPie's description doesn't match the numbers on the distributor

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Then get it to work these have perfection written over them LOL ... Pull your spark plugs and see what in what condition they are.

·
Now w/20% More Magic
199 Posts
I dont have the wire in the middle I believe his a older GA16 dont worry about it but the numbers in the picture are correct

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Then it's back to the injectors... Check the impedance on each and every one... did you use any fuel cleaning stuff right before this happened?

·
Now w/20% More Magic
199 Posts
yes you have the plug on the top the B13's GA16 do not and use the center wire, the cap is not your problem

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
They're pointing at your cylinders lol In between the valve cover and your intake manifold... you should see them... Each one has two wires that end up in it. It's pretty much the only electrical wires you'll see around that area. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts