Nissan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Car Top Carriers

Just purchased an Armada 2004 in october, and wondering if anyone has been able to adapt any car top carriers to the unusual roof rack. We had to drill holes in our rocket box to adjust, but now I need a larger carrier...any suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have called many dealerships with no help. You see the rack on the armada is 40 inches apart, and all the cargo carriers have attatchments that mount at 30 inches apart. We drilled new holes in our rocketbox, but with 5 kids we need a bigger box on top. All the newer brands have unusual hardware that doesn't seem to be adjustable. I can't believe it but I don't think there is a resolution. Let me know if you find something diffeent. Thanks

Slurppie said:
Dumb question but have you looked at the dealer accerssories? Also take a look at this site and see if it helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I drilled new holes in my Rocketbox. The rack is totally useless, IMHO - you cannot even attach a Yakima or Thule cross bar. WTF were the engineers thinking anyway? Of course, I didn't realize this until AFTER getting it.....

Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Useless racks

We called several Nissan dealers throughout the Midwest and they all put you on hold for 5 minutes just to blurt out " we don't know what you can do with the racks...it appears nothing adapts to them" Friggin' great product. A Pakasport dealer said you could drill holes in their carriers ...of course that voids any warranty but at least you'd have storage.

c4racer said:
I drilled new holes in my Rocketbox. The rack is totally useless, IMHO - you cannot even attach a Yakima or Thule cross bar. WTF were the engineers thinking anyway? Of course, I didn't realize this until AFTER getting it.....

Scott

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bike rack

I just bought a Thule bike rack that will fit in the factory roof rack tracks. You will need to buy the 430 foot pack. The bike trays will need to be mounted backwards so they won't interfere with the rear hatch. The Thule bars will be pretty close together but Thule recommends this set up for Armada's. I bought two bike trays.

I have not installed the rack yet...will put it on tonight.

I can't figure out how to remove the movable bar of the factory rack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts