Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using 93 octane gas since my car pings at anything lower than that, but I noticed the other day while going up a hill that my car start to ping with the 93 octane. Maybe what I thought was a ping before isn't actually a ping? Are there any other fuel related noises when accelerating or climbing hills that are usually present besides pinging?

·
Registered
85 Posts
it might be helpful if you were more descriptive. Anything can make a ping noise....try to pin point approximate location, sound, and more specific conditions in which the pinging occurs. Im sure I wont be able to help you, but no one will be able to help you unless they know as much as you do.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well when someone says there car knocks or pings they usually say it sounds like a diesel engine, but since I've never heard a diesel engine run far any significant amount of time, I don't know if my car makes a pinging sound representative of having advanced timing etc...or if it is just a sound present in every car....I will try and listen to it again and get back to you guys.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was refering to the sound of a diesel engine, as that is what some people say pinging in a car sounds like when you have the timing set too high, not the car actually pinging. I believe my car pings due to a timing, fuel related problem as that it seems to make this noise when I run 87 or 89 octane but goes away with 93 octane, which would make me assume it is a ping associated with advanced timing etc. But sometimes it makes the sound while going up a hill while using 93 octane gas which makes me think that something else is wrong besides advanced timing, maybe a bad egr valve purhapse?

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
dschrier said:
I was refering to the sound of a diesel engine, as that is what some people say pinging in a car sounds like when you have the timing set too high, not the car actually pinging. I believe my car pings due to a timing, fuel related problem as that it seems to make this noise when I run 87 or 89 octane but goes away with 93 octane, which would make me assume it is a ping associated with advanced timing etc. But sometimes it makes the sound while going up a hill while using 93 octane gas which makes me think that something else is wrong besides advanced timing, maybe a bad egr valve purhapse?
sorry, was eating yogurt when read your post... lost attention...

yeah try cleaning your the whole egr system. do you have the actual timing advanced?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never advanced the timing myself, or had it checked, but I have had my timing chain replaced in the last 15,000 miles ( my car has 142,000) and I would assume that the timing would need to be recalibrated once the chain was replaced or is this incorrect?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the car still made the pinging sound long before the car ever had the chain replaced. I have read that an egr valve helps reduce pinging and knock and purhapse I need to clean mine. It seems like the older cars have a problem with gummed up egr valves and such.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts