Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1997 200sx se with a hs cai, headers, and custom exhaust. Problem is the car seems slugish could the problem be because i dont have a cat converter or maybe check the timing. thanks

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
ick19 said:
i have a 1997 200sx se with a hs cai, headers, and custom exhaust. Problem is the car seems slugish could the problem be because i dont have a cat converter or maybe check the timing. thanks
Define sluggish. With the mods you should be running about 10-12 whp over stock. Not having a cat shouldn't make a difference (only 1-2 hp difference with the cat, so you should run one). You really should search this forum since there are hundreds of posts on sluggish running cars, erratic idle, and all that stuff. BTW, a tune-up does wonders for sluggish cars. Use NGK plugs and gap them to spec. Checking the timing would help you rule out some possiblilities as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kindfiend said:
Define sluggish. With the mods you should be running about 10-12 whp over stock. Not having a cat shouldn't make a difference (only 1-2 hp difference with the cat, so you should run one). You really should search this forum since there are hundreds of posts on sluggish running cars, erratic idle, and all that stuff. BTW, a tune-up does wonders for sluggish cars. Use NGK plugs and gap them to spec. Checking the timing would help you rule out some possiblilities as well.
thanks i plan on getting a cat just havent yet. i am running the ngks and new wires etc. i was thinking that without the cat maybe the rear o2 sensor was messing the fuel mixture up because of the obd2 crap.

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
ick19 said:
thanks i plan on getting a cat just havent yet. i am running the ngks and new wires etc. i was thinking that without the cat maybe the rear o2 sensor was messing the fuel mixture up because of the obd2 crap.
Did you get the cap and rotor when you tuned it up? Also, I would search on cleaning the throttle body, that seems to help a few people gain back some power. The rear 02 sensor doesn't affect the air/fuel ratio, at least I think. I believe it's just there to make sure the cat is functioning. That's easy to tell if it's messing with your car though. If it started to run worse after the cat was taken off, then that might be your culprit. If this problem appeared long after the cat was removed, then I would look elsewhere.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks yeah i tuned up everything throttle body could probly benefit from a cleaning though

·
Registered
78 Posts
is it sluggish compared to before you made the repairs, or sluggish compared to what you expected? If you have an auto, adding some of those things will make it act more sluggish since it moves the torque and hp gains up the rpm band, actually reducing hp and torque in the lower RPM (Where the auto spends most of its time)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Slugish 97 200sx se

ick19 said:
no its a manual
1st off this is what I drive (97obdII 200sx 1.6 manual hs manifold,hs cai, timing advanced 5 to 13btdc, UR crank pulley, JWT flywheel, hand-honed TB,
17"konig wheels wrapped in nitto neo-gen tires, crappy stock ECU-not so crappy and not much choice).
Yo man like this car is not fast anyway.
Sluggish how? is a good question, like off of the line? or from 0-60 or from like 45-100?
Maybe you're just shifting too early?
Try using the whole rpm band (like all the way to fuel cut in 1st gear)
This engine doesn't do much until like from 3500-6000rpm anyway.
My car didn't feel like it wanted to go until I changed out the flywheel.
Maybe your clutch is slipping?
Also check air filter (clean it anyway)
Could be clogged injectors too, run some FI cleaner through it and/or get a new fuel filter depending on how old your current one is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DanTheMan said:
1st off this is what I drive (97obdII 200sx 1.6 manual hs manifold,hs cai, timing advanced 5 to 13btdc, UR crank pulley, JWT flywheel, hand-honed TB,
17"konig wheels wrapped in nitto neo-gen tires, crappy stock ECU-not so crappy and not much choice).
Sluggish how? is a good question, like off of the line? or from 0-60 or from like 45-100?
Could be clogged injectors too, run some FI cleaner through it and/or get a new fuel filter depending on how old your current one is.

yeah it just seems like it dosent have the power it should but its mainly just off the line. how do you like that jwt flywheel i bet that really helps the acceleration. i also have a brand new clutchmasters clutch thanks for the help

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
DanTheMan said:
shift later?? above 6k?? i might try that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts