Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to change the cap and rotor in my car soon. Its a 92 XE with 1.6 and auto. Should I go with OEM parts or do the aftermarket cap and rotors work well? I am not worried about performance really just gas mileage :thumbup: I have replaced the plugs already (NGK thanks to the urging of this board) and was also wondering about the wires....what brands would you guys suggest? Car runs fairly smoothly but at idle theres a slight vibration.....enough that you can see the hood shaking some but on acceleration it smooths out. Car has 183k on it and I think the plugs were original plugs.....yes they were terrible so I am betting none of the other parts have been replaced either. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Brad

·
Registered
450 Posts
The general advice I have read here is to use OEM tune-up parts, but did not know that for the last 100,000 miles. :) I have been buying my cap and rotor and Advance Auto Parts, and it seems to work fine. I found out the hard way to use NGK plugs before I came here. Regarding wires, my OEM ones shorted out in about 85,000, and my set from Advance shorted out at about 85,000. When wire 3 shorted recently, I thought I lost an injector. My mechanic found the bad wire, and put on no name wires from his parts supplier. Seems to work great! The question is, would I notice a difference with all OEM? I guess we will never know. :thumbup: I am at 173,000. Car runs as strong as when I got it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'd definatley go OEM with as many part's as you can other then upgrades of course, i found in the past that i just end up replacing the part later with OEM stuff! I try to save a dollar and end up buying the part twice. Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
use only OEm nissan. the aftermarket does not use brass contacts on the strikers. Not good, even bosch. If its made in italy, its not good either.

Stock Nissan for cap and rotor only. Take a look at the factory rotor and an aftermarket piece and you will see why I say this.

Chris 92 classic

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.....so I assume only a Nissan dealer can sell Nissan OEM parts right? Closest one is about 50 miles away lol.

Brad

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm stock cap and rotor are $31 plus tax while aftermarket is $13 plus tax. Might have to think about this one lol. My stock one on there now does not have brass or if it is it is a silver colored brass now :rolleyes: It does have Nissan stamped on it so I assume its the original one.

Brad

·
Registered
217 Posts
lol, I just bought a 94 sentra LE (I own 2 now) from one of my regular customers. at 208,000 miles this actually had the original cap, rotor, and wires. the plugs were replaced with autolites. it ran surprisingly smooth. but I replaced all that stuff. NGK platinum plugs, bosch wires (which I have no complaints about) and autozone's brass contact cap and rotor kit. runs much better now, except for a rather rough vibration when it's in drive. when you push it up into neutral, you can't even feel it. oh well, I have 210,000 on it now and it's not exactly new....

Dan

·
NX2000 Bredren
212 Posts
Go buy the OEM cap and rotor and buy the Autozone or whatever Cap and rotor also. Then compare. The OEM stuff is way higher quality and you can tell!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts