Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its been talked about because I searched and read and read, I even read a little of the FSM but couldnt find what I needed.

So if some one could help alittle bit it would really help.
I dont much about cars.

Ok I just found out that I have a tranny leak and front main seal leaking. So the other night I had to put a quart in each, I drove home and parked next morning I move it back about 20 feet. Leave it till the next day. My wife went to start it, I think she said it started and died. Then wouldnt start again.

I check the battery, tried a good working battery.
Checked for spark, I have a very small spark. Changed the plugs still small spark.
Everything power works. Sounds like its going to start, But doesnt really make it.
I hit the starter and still didnt work. I cant really get the starter off. But I just read that its just 2 bolts. I got under the car and couldnt get anything to reach the bottom bolt.

So I guess to morrow I will try removing stuff to get to it better.

But just to make sure does this sound like the starter or what?

·
Registered
98 Posts
ChoaticWhisper said:
My wife went to start it, I think she said it started and died. Then wouldnt start again.
right there that tells you its not your starter, if it started than died then its most likely something else. if the car turns over there is no point in changing your starter. but if you still want to find out if it is take the starter out and bring into your local Advance auto store they can check it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
ChoaticWhisper said:
I cant really get the starter off. But I just read that its just 2 bolts. I got under the car and couldnt get anything to reach the bottom bolt.

to remove the starter it helps to remove you intake hoses

·
Registered
303 Posts
Okay you changed the plugs, did you gap them? How do the wires look? How about the cap and rotor? If you do these items make sure you use dealership parts.
Are you getting fuel?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She told me that thats the same thing it done last time the starter died.
Also my boss I asked him today, Thats the same thing that his did when his starter died.
What else could it be?

Yes I did gap them, The wires look like new, I dont know what to look for about the cap and rotor.

Im gonna try to remove it and have them check it tomorrow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I removed the starter had it tested, They said it was fine.
The guy at the store said to try to spray some starting fluid in the TB and then try to start it, It didnt do anything different.
So What do I try next?
Someone said it could still be the fuel so I guess Im might try to check the fuel pump tomorrow unless some one has a better idea.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Did you fix the tranny leak or find out where was it leaking from ? Sometimes is as easy as tightening a hose clamp on the lines around the radiator. It could be a problem on delivery fuel system or timing. Check the IAC too. Also I know it sounds stupid but I'd try a battery jump from another car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Some ramblings about cap/rotor and my two cents...

Just to weigh in, I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago and I had it fixed the same day my tranny died (bad luck on my part, I know). Believe it or not, the cap and rotor were MUCH cheaper to replace than the spark plug wires themselves. The shop that replaced everything for me got the cap and rotor for maybe $30 total, whereas the spark plug wires cost almost $100. Before I had this fixed, the engine flooded, resulting in a no-start condition like what you described. The final straw for me was when this scenario occurred twice in a week. I also replaced my plugs in December (about 5K miles ago) when the aforementioned scenario happened then, as well.

I know exactly what you're going through with this. It is very frustrating and it can be costly, too. Once my tranny is fixed, I can finally see if my flooding problem has indeed gone away.

One last thing: Did this problem occur in cold weather? Mine did. Almost every single time the temperature outside was 30 degrees or below. The mechanic told me that having old wires and a weak cap/rotor exacerbated by cold weather probably caused the flooding/no start.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well replaced the Coolant sensor, Still nothing. Guess the cap and rotor is next.

Yes the problem started when the temp outside was cold.

Also I did find the leak its one of the lines where it goes into the tranny cooler. I havent fixed it yet because I figured getting the car running again was needed more.

·
Registered
217 Posts
okay, I'm lost. when you turn the key, exactly what happens? does the engine crank like it wants to start? does it click, make a whining sound, or do nothing at all? I've had a problem with the starter in my sentra where it worked one minute and didn't the next. if it cranks but doesn't start, it's not the starter. but if you turn the key and get nothing, then it could be one of many things, like a neutral safety or clutch safety switch, solenoid, fusible link, etc.

and also, bench testing a starter isn't the most accurate way of doing it. when it's tested on a machine like auto parts stores have, the starter isn't under a load like it is when it's bolted to your engine. on the tester, the starter doesn't have to spin the flywheel and crankshaft. so it's very possible that it can work on a bench tester but not on the car. if you think it's a starter issue, get a voltmeter and connect it to the battery terminals. then go ahead and crank the engine. if the voltage goes below 9.6 VDC, chances are the starter is dead.

Dan

·
Registered
303 Posts
ChoaticWhisper said:
Well I removed the starter had it tested, They said it was fine.
The guy at the store said to try to spray some starting fluid in the TB and then try to start it, It didnt do anything different.
So What do I try next?
Someone said it could still be the fuel so I guess Im might try to check the fuel pump tomorrow unless some one has a better idea.
Did you check for fuel yet? Smart decision about the tranny leak, get the engine running first.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes getting fuel, getting spark(whiteish blue) on all the plugs.
I looked at the cap the points looked good plus Im getting spark.

Ive found alot of threads with this problem and most of them didnt really have a answer. So does that mean theres alot of nonrunning 200's out there?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Try this- pull out each spark plug, put a few drops of oil in the cylinder. Then reinstall the plug- people on this board have claimed this will help get some compression back.
Now after you do that get in the car and hold the gas pedal to the floor and try to start the car. Leave the gas pedal floored the entire time your cranking. This has been done to 3 sentras that I remember (from this site)and every time it worked for them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jer28 said:
Try this- pull out each spark plug, put a few drops of oil in the cylinder. Then reinstall the plug- people on this board have claimed this will help get some compression back.
Now after you do that get in the car and hold the gas pedal to the floor and try to start the car. Leave the gas pedal floored the entire time your cranking. This has been done to 3 sentras that I remember (from this site)and every time it worked for them.
I might try that tomorrow.

Is there anyway that this could be because of a bad MAF? I had a problem a while ago, where if the tach hit 2k it would bouce down to 700 then back up again, someone said it was because of the maf was going bad.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I wouldn't think so. usually when a MAF goes bad, it lets you know by not allowing the engine to rev past 4000 or so.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It started!!!
The Oil worked!

So that does mean that I should look at replacing the rings around the pistons or was it just because it was flooded?

Its smoking alot but thats just beacuse of the oil right?

·
Registered
303 Posts
No don't worry about the rings. It could be that it just needed some new plugs because the spark was so weak that it flooded. Glad to hear its running, and thanks for posting back.

·
Registered
98 Posts
ChoaticWhisper said:
Its smoking alot but thats just beacuse of the oil right?

how much oil did you put in? it shouldnt smoke a lot, and did it go away? oh yeah what color smoke? you'll see a lot of white smoke if its been sitting awhile. blue is oil which you'll see a little since you added some oil, but it should go away quickly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
probaly to much best I could guess is about a table spoon each cyl.
White smoke, It went away pretty soon. But it was sitting for probaly a week while trying to get it to work, but its been runing great, Changed the oil the next day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts