Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95' Pathfinder SE 4WD w/automatic trans. Since I bought it last summer there has been a whining noise that increases with speed coming from somewhere in the drivetrain that has been getting worse. The sound seems to be coming from the rear but it is hard to tell. The tires are all new (noise was there before and after I put them on). I have changed the rear diff fluid, transfer case fluid, and auto trans fluid, all looked clean with no metal shaving but the noise is still there. The autolock hubs do disengage so I know it is not stuck in 4WD. I inspected the outer front bearings when rebuilding the hubs and they both look fine. Recently I noticed that the noise gets twice as loud when loading the drivers side (like when turning to the left on an entrance ramp, so I suspected it may have been the drivers side rear wheel bearing. I brought it to my normally knowledgeable mechanic and they agreed that was probably the cause, but $250 later the noise is still there! What else can I check? I really don't want my pathy to leave me stranded somewhere. Any ideas would be helpful.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the front hubs in Jan to rebuild the autolock hubs. When in there I inspected and re-lubricated the outer bearing on both front wheels they looked in perfect shape so I did not go through the trouble of inspecting the inner cone.
It makes the noise at all speeds and increases in volume and pitch as speed increases. It is most noticable around 30-40 MPH. Any faster and it is drowned out by wind noise but still there, any slower it is just not as audible but can be heard (especially if I saw the wheel back and forth). The noise is independant of engine speed (i.e. if I shift into neutal at 40 MPH the sound does not change).

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
personnally, I dont recommend this, but you could put the axle on jackstands and put it in drive, crawl underneath it to help locate the noise. be careful of tires and driveline. you may or may not hear the noise because there will be no load on the bearings. unloaded bearings can make noise though. just not common.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
personnally, I dont recommend this, but you could put the axle on jackstands and put it in drive, crawl underneath it to help locate the noise. be careful of tires and driveline. you may or may not hear the noise because there will be no load on the bearings. unloaded bearings can make noise though. just not common.
If you're gonna put on stands, make sure you block both front wheels and have someone in the driver's seat. Last thing you want it to do is drive off and kill someone.

I'd check the rear drive shaft. The bearings in the U-joint are probably worn out of grease.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although I would imagine resting the solid axle on jackstands would be quite stabe, the small chance of it running off into the neighbors yard scares the heck out of me. I will check the drive shaft. I didn't know there were grease points on the drive shaft. The past two trucks I owned had sealed universal joint bearings.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Although I would imagine resting the solid axle on jackstands would be quite stabe, the small chance of it running off into the neighbors yard scares the heck out of me. I will check the drive shaft. I didn't know there were grease points on the drive shaft. The past two trucks I owned had sealed universal joint bearings.
Some u-joints don't have grease nipples on them.

What you could also do is shake the drive shaft by grabbing close to the joint. If it wiggles or moves at all, then I think you found your problem. You'll have to get it changed, repacking it with grease won't solve the problem as the bearings are worn.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The drive shaft spyder on mine looks to have sealed bearings. There is a very small screw with a slot in it for a flat blade screw driver but no grease fittings anywhere. There is absoulutely no play in the driveshaft (axial or radial) anyway though. I was really hoping that was it because I am stumped. The sound is no louder after driving another 100 miles this weekend but I am starting to feel vibration when loading that right side. I guess I need to try disassembling the front hubs again to see if it is those front inner cones???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts