Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a pic of my engine: Click on the pic for a link to the full size image.

This is from my 1991 Sentra SE w/ GA16DE engine and 182,000 miles. This car has had 3-4K mile changes with dino oil for the first 130K, then 5-6K changes with AMSOIL till now.

I currently have started the first rinse phase of Auto RX to clean up the sludge. I will be opening the filters and doing more after shots of the engine to see if it works.

I am VERY sceptical of additives, but AutoRX is highly recommended on the Bobistheoilguy forum.

Stay tuned for updates.

·
Registered
385 Posts
what is that blue piece inbetween your rad. hose? is that for a water temp sensor to tap into?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
se_nismo said:
what is that blue piece inbetween your rad. hose? is that for a water temp sensor to tap into?
Yes, that is a Greddy water temperature adapter. I am just finishing up the article on it to send to Mike, to put in NPM, hopefully for next month's issue.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
azkicker0027 said:
isn't it posted somewhere that when you rev really high, sludge is less likely to form??? i guess with that in mind, my gas mileage went down.
If that was the case, I would not have all that sludge :rolleyes:

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
hey be careful cleaning that sludge off we did it on a car in autoshop went like 12k with out an oil change maybe it was more but we cleaned it all off and some sludge made its way to the oil pan and got stuck in the oil pickup tube and yeah......rip

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Skoodles said:
hey be careful cleaning that sludge off we did it on a car in autoshop went like 12k with out an oil change maybe it was more but we cleaned it all off and some sludge made its way to the oil pan and got stuck in the oil pickup tube and yeah......rip
That is why I am using AutoRX. It cleans slowly, so it doesn't have that problem.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Wow never seen anything that bad... Is this the first time you removed your valve cover? Most likely your throttle body has some of this slime too... you should check that next. 5,000 miles is a lot to go without an oil change... I wouldn't go past 3,000... usually I change it at 2,500 or 2,800. Maybe 5,000 if the engine was brand new but not an engine that has over 100,000 miles. Try Mobil 1 it's good stuff.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Wow! Was it the oil, or the extended changes, or what? I have 172,000 miles, but did 3,000 mile oil changes. My head looked cleaner before starting Auto-RX. I am on my final rinse phase after two cleaning phases. Car is running much stronger. Good luck!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Guys, don't be too quick to blame the oil.

If the PCV valve wasn't changed regularly (say every 50,000-75,000 miles) that could account for the build-up of this dark slime. I've seen it before on BITOG. The crankcase needs to be able to breathe and get rid of trapped vapors which are the byproducts of combustion.

I'd change the PCV valve (even if it rattles) and do 1-2 short interval oil & filter changes using a 15W-40 HDEO like Delo400.

That's all and I bet this motor cleans up real nice. :cool:

Edit: I see that you already started using Auto-RX. Fine, but don't forget to check and replace that PCV or the sludge, once cleaned, will return in 10,000-20,000 miles.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Catman said:
Wow! Was it the oil, or the extended changes, or what? I have 172,000 miles, but did 3,000 mile oil changes. My head looked cleaner before starting Auto-RX. I am on my final rinse phase after two cleaning phases. Car is running much stronger. Good luck!
First 100K miles were lots of short trips where the car rarely got up to temp.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bror Jace said:
Guys, don't be too quick to blame the oil.

If the PCV valve wasn't changed regularly (say every 50,000-75,000 miles) that could account for the build-up of this dark slime. I've seen it before on BITOG. The crankcase needs to be able to breathe and get rid of trapped vapors which are the byproducts of combustion.

I'd change the PCV valve (even if it rattles) and do 1-2 short interval oil & filter changes using a 15W-40 HDEO like Delo400.

That's all and I bet this motor cleans up real nice. :cool:

Edit: I see that you already started using Auto-RX. Fine, but don't forget to check and replace that PCV or the sludge, once cleaned, will return in 10,000-20,000 miles.
PCV changed every 50-60K. In fact the one that is in there only has about 10K on it. I know it is working, because I just scrubbed the living crap out of my CAI, TB, and intake to remove all that crap from the PCV. :rolleyes:

I am currently on my first rinse stage using Delo 400 :thumbup:

·
Registered
450 Posts
johnand said:
First 100K miles were lots of short trips where the car rarely got up to temp.
I had a similar problem. I was a supervisor of a support living house that was 2 miles away from my home. I would shuttle back and forth through the day for 3 years. Engine never got warm in winter. I think the Auto-RX cleaned the ring packs, giving me the noticeable gains. I did put a new OEM Nissan PCV valve a few weeks ago. My front and rear main seals are leaking a little. Just wanted to give every opportunity for them to reseat themselves after the cleaning done by Auto-RX. Not a drop of oil on the ground so far. Will be interesting to see your results.

·
Registered
941 Posts
johnand: "(I) changed the PCV every 50-60K. In fact the one that is in there only has about 10K on it. I know it is working, because I just scrubbed the living crap out of my CAI, TB, and intake to remove all that crap from the PCV. I am currently on my first rinse stage using Delo 400."

OK, I hear you on the short trips. I'm sorta in the same boat myself these days. I drive 7.5 miles each way from my house to a park-'n-ride. I think the oil I'm running now, a mix of Schaeffer & Mobil 1, will only last about 3,200 miles or so. Then I'll dump it in favor of 100% Schaeffer this summer. That oil I'll leave in longer as the summer is much kinder on cars than those winter start-ups.

I bet the combination of things you've done leaves that engine 90+% cleaner. Can't wait to see the pics. ;)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:

I have finished the 1st clean cycle and am about 600 miles into the 1st rinse. Car runs the same, but mileage has improved 1-2MPG.

I have finally gotten a chance to cut open some filters to take a look. I have been using AMSOIL SDF15 (Oversized for my car.) and AMSOIL 5W-40 Euro oil for the last couple of changes with 5-6K change intervals. I kept the filter from the change before I put AutoRX in. The filter had just under 6K on it. For the 1st AutoRX clean, I drained the oil, and installed a new Purolator Pure 1 PL30001 filter and Cheveron 5W-30 oil.

Here are the pics. Click on the image for high res full size pics:

This is the picture of the pre AutoRX AMSOIL filter.

This is the picture of the pre AutoRX AMSOIL filter. This is the filter material pleats. There was no trace of any particles in the pleats.

This is the picture of the Purolator Pure 1 filter from the 1st rinse at 1632 miles on it.

This is the picture of the Purolator Pure 1 filter from the 1st rinse at 1632 miles on it. This shot is of the filter material. Notice the particles in the pleats. It was grainy type particles, very small in size.

This is the picture of the Purolator Pure 1 filter from the 1st rinse at 1632 miles on it. This is the particles that I scraped off of the filter material pleats, and wiped on a cloth. These are very fine particles, that feel kinda like sand.

More updates to come.

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
the instructor of my friend's ford tech. course said that a cheap way to clean out an engine is to add a quart of ATF with a high detergent at your next fill up. i was kinda scared to try that one, but he was right about brake fluid stopping power steering leaks and rubbing alchohol cleaning fuel injectors.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I was told to use Transmission fluid by several old time mechanics to clean my Mazda engine with sticky lifters. Never did it, but I respect the people who recommended it. But, it does not compare to what Auto-RX can do, as I understand it.

Car runs the same, but mileage has improved 1-2MPG.
I noticed more gains after second cleaning with Auto-RX. Nice pics! Will be interesting to see how this turns out. :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Go to thier website here. For the best info and posts about user experiences of AutoRX, check the Bobistheoilguy forum here.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update:

I just changed the oil from the 2nd clean phase. I actually went over the 1500 miles, I ran it about 2400 miles, as I didn't have time to change it. I have used Cheveron Supreme for all phases so far, but am using Delvac 15W-40 HDEO for the final rinse.

As far as the pictures after the first rinse, I have them here:

I see a very small amount of cleaning in the pictures. You can see the cams between cylinder 2and3, and 3and4 are cleaner, and overall, there appears that the sludge buildup is thinner. In one pic, you can see where I rubber the guide for the timing chain, and the sludge just wiped off, so the Auto-RX has loosened it up. The biggest difference I noticed, is the valve cover bottom used to be coated with a thin black layer of sludge, and it is almost all gone.

Here are the filter pics:

This is very disappointing. There is no sludge in the filter media from the 1st rinse.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts