Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, got the head of my car (finally, after manny cuts, and foul language)
now, the reason i removed it, was i had TERRIBLE oil in water, and a little water in oil.
when oil was removed from car, on two seperate ocasions, now and about 1000km ago, the oil was black, as it should have been, yet, on the inside of the oil cap, it was brown sludge.
the coolant water, was horrific, just sludge.
upon removing the head, there was excessive build up of this sludge between two and three cylinder, and it was all over the gasget in this area. normal looking oil was around the chains.
once the head was removed, i found out why i could not get the intake manifold off. the bolt on the chain side of the engine, had rust all over it, and had attached its self to the manifold.
the gasket that ws between the manifold and the engine was good, apart from where it had ben rusted together, it looked like it had been leaking into the manifold, but im not to sure on this. Is this possible at all?
the inside of the water inlets and outlets was rusty brouwn right the way through, and one of the tubes that a water hose actually goes on has actually rusted through a little (one of the little tubes, and ony on the top)

the head gasket didnt look to bad, but i dont really know what im looking for.
there seems to be no crackes on the head (trhank god) but i am going to take it in to get checked, and possibly machined.

Ah yes, there was also a big build up of black oil on the second cylinder from the left.

any clues at all, or should i just get the head cheacked, and put it all back together with new water pipes and gaskets

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Not sure what we are trying to diagnose... Anyway can you see evidence of water leakin on the head gasket? I would thoroughly clean everything, have the head checked and resurfaced, buy all new gaskets, cylinder head bolts and put it all back together.

Honestly sounds like the car was not well maintained as far as oil changes and coolant flushes...

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
and while you have your head off, i would replace the timing chain tensioners since they are a pain to replace anyways...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You should have the head looked at, you never know without good examination if there are cracks. Alot of the times the thing overheats and this is the cause for warped head gaskets, but the head could have cracked. You need to go to an expert on heads and tell him what happened and what you found, they may pressure test it to see if there are cracks or such. It will need machined at the least, make sure to buy the right gasket because you will increase compression from milling the head a little. You may need to use super after its put back together.

Chris 92 classic

·
Registered
327 Posts
I was blowing white sweet smelling smoke. When I checked my plugs there was coolant on the no# 3 cylinder. I remeber at around 68k when I check my oil it had a milky look to it. I changed it and keep checking for a while but it never happened again. Then 30k later I started noticing a little white smoke from the exhaust. Then at 108k it let go big time. I think the ealier event was a warning. Aside from the bad coolant I'd say it was about to go(your head gasket) too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts