Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 TT I was told that you could increase the HP by Changing the twin turbos for a larger single turbo my friend said there is a kit and he did it to his but I can't find it and he doesn't have the car anymore. I call the local shop and they told me that they never did it before and is still in an experimental stage. You ever hear of such a thing or is it worth it?

·
Registered
108 Posts
zx9ryder said:
I have a 91 TT I was told that you could increase the HP by Changing the twin turbos for a larger single turbo my friend said there is a kit and he did it to his but I can't find it and he doesn't have the car anymore. I call the local shop and they told me that they never did it before and is still in an experimental stage. You ever hear of such a thing or is it worth it?
I don't know about it increasing horsepower.....The only real reason that I can see to changing from 2 turbos to 1 would be cheaper to upgrade to a bigger turbo, cause you're only buying one turbo.....but the cost of the kit would probably offset that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
zx9ryder said:
Not sure if there is a kit out for the Z32 but anything can be done with $$$. It is common on the MKIV supras for the twin turbos to be replaced by one large turbo for maximum HP. I would think that turbo lag would increase with a larger single turbo, i guess it all depends on what you are wanting to do. If you are wanting to hit 500 or so it would be easiest to just go with a twin set up made for that HP range seeing as the exhaust manifolds would have to be custom made.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
mpw991 said:
Not sure if there is a kit out for the Z32 but anything can be done with $$$. It is common on the MKIV supras for the twin turbos to be replaced by one large turbo for maximum HP. I would think that turbo lag would increase with a larger single turbo, i guess it all depends on what you are wanting to do. If you are wanting to hit 500 or so it would be easiest to just go with a twin set up made for that HP range seeing as the exhaust manifolds would have to be custom made.
Did you not see my post? Guess not. Joel is selling the kit now.

The reason is single turbocharger systems are more efficient and flow better among a few other things (as in they typically make more power). One of the big reasons that the Z32 came with a TT set-up was because of space constraints. With all the plumbing required for a single turbo it wouldn't fit.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Domdogg123 said:
I don't know about it increasing horsepower.....The only real reason that I can see to changing from 2 turbos to 1 would be cheaper to upgrade to a bigger turbo, cause you're only buying one turbo.....but the cost of the kit would probably offset that.
wow thats dumb, whenever you want to increase horsepower you usually upgrade to 1 turbo, almost all the big players that have like 1000 hp supras and skylines only have one turbo, im not saying you cant increase hp with more then one turbo, just saying its easier to do it to with one, and ya we can argue about engines with multiple turbos like diesels and blah blah or to get the twin turbos sequentially running, just saying its easier with one :)

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Seems to me one large single turbo under a Z32 hood would be a large pain in the butt and a plumbing nightmare.......Possible, but is it really desirable? Seems to me the Z32 guys have been doing well for years upgrading to a bigger TT setup, and for certain a tried and true TT upgrade would be cheaper than a brand new single turbo upgrade setup. Somebody check and post prices, but I bet the differences are huge. Going to a larger single turbo is NOT always cheaper, especially in a car with a tight underhood space like a Z32. We all know how expensive Lingenfelters TT setup was for the Corvette, another car with little extra space under the hood.........
Besides, I don't see a larger single turbo being very desirable for the road course guys, which comprises 90% of all Z32 owners. Only the few dragster guys would buy something like this.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Seems to me one large single turbo under a Z32 hood would be a large pain in the butt and a plumbing nightmare.......Possible, but is it really desirable? Seems to me the Z32 guys have been doing well for years upgrading to a bigger TT setup, and for certain a tried and true TT upgrade would be cheaper than a brand new single turbo upgrade setup. Somebody check and post prices, but I bet the differences are huge. Going to a larger single turbo is NOT always cheaper, especially in a car with a tight underhood space like a Z32. We all know how expensive Lingenfelters TT setup was for the Corvette, another car with little extra space under the hood.........
Besides, I don't see a larger single turbo being very desirable for the road course guys, which comprises 90% of all Z32 owners. Only the few dragster guys would buy something like this.
ya i agree, using a single turbo is more related to drag because the lag

·
Registered
122 Posts
anyways ive seen upwards 600 hp with the tt setup in those, also the 300zx is the only car in its class that holds the record for speed, meaning other japansese muscle, it hit I think it was 248 mph in the alki flats

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
How about 1050rwhp for a Z32TT that is street driven. It can be done with the TT set-up. The thing is a drag car doesn't typically have t worry about a big single and remember nitrous makes lag a thing of the past.

If a Z32 hit 248mph there wasnt much left of it that made it a Z32. Stock they could go 155 then a speed limiter would come in. There really isn't enought gear to go to much faster then 160 or so.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Running one large turbo on the street is probably going to be a problem. Imagine this....

You have a Z32 converted to a large single turbo pumping out lets say 650 HP. At idle or crusing your probably only putting out 160-180. Stomp on it and all of a sudden your going to have 400+ more HP come in at around 3 to 3.5K On turns and such. This could be a really tight situation. Now with the TT setup lag is much less and much smoother impression.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
SKD_Tech said:
Running one large turbo on the street is probably going to be a problem. Imagine this....

You have a Z32 converted to a large single turbo pumping out lets say 650 HP. At idle or crusing your probably only putting out 160-180. Stomp on it and all of a sudden your going to have 400+ more HP come in at around 3 to 3.5K On turns and such. This could be a really tight situation. Now with the TT setup lag is much less and much smoother impression.
I've driven cars like that. Wait......wait......wait..........BOOM sideways. Like JamesZ said, nitrous has made lag a thing of the past, but you don't want to use something like that to improve driveability. I'd rather have my cars docile on the street, monster at the track. A fine line to walk but it can be done.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
You'd think he'd have to be easy on the gas. Heck it sure wouldn't be good with me I can tell you that.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
SKD_Tech said:
You'd think he'd have to be easy on the gas. Heck it sure wouldn't be good with me I can tell you that.
I don't think he is easy on the gas. If it is so hard to drive a single turbo car then why isn't it hard to drive the Z31? Heck most heavily modified Z31s are street driven if not daily driven.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
JAMESZ said:
I don't think he is easy on the gas. If it is so hard to drive a single turbo car then why isn't it hard to drive the Z31? Heck most heavily modified Z31s are street driven if not daily driven.
Single turbo, moderate size. How big is this guys turbo?

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
JAMESZ said:

Yes but a bunch run the size turbo that goes with the engine for a broad power range. Instead and MAX HP

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.