Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The starter on my 96 Sentra automatic -- 110k -- went last month, and I replaced it with a hitachi one from Pep Boys. Everything went back together fine with no problems and the car worked fine. Then a screeching noise started a few days later when starting the car (after a few cranks). It gradually became louder. Is it possible a new starter could have damaged the flywheel, and that that is causing the noise? I took the starter out yesterday and took pictures of the flywheel and starter, but don't know if the teeth are worn or damaged. The ends ofthe teeth appear a bit retangular -- should they pointed? (If anyone would accept a photo by email to look at the flywheel photos, that would be much appreciated.) If the starter did cause the damage, what recourse do I have?

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,277 Posts
The screeching is probably the starter not releasing after you let go of the key ?
Any way i think this is a bad starter, either the above or solenoid not letting go or bad bearings.
If the starter does not release properly you get a screeching sound from the over run clutch
Oh and I don't think the starter would cause a ring gear problem in such a short time since this is a pre-engaged starter

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Sounds like the solenoid not releasing ...been there, done that and IF that is your problem it won't damage the flywheel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts