Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine has a sentra (98, 1.6) and he put 17inch wheels on it. It rides a little high but looks good still. He plans on putting a body kit on it and getting new paint sometime in the future but for now the question is if it can be lowered without rubbing (or if he does, will there be a significant amount)?

his rear shocks are shot as well...maybe he can kill 2 birds with one stone. Any help/suggestions?

·
Registered
505 Posts
A buddy of mine has a sentra (98, 1.6) and he put 17inch wheels on it. It rides a little high but looks good still. He plans on putting a body kit on it and getting new paint sometime in the future but for now the question is if it can be lowered without rubbing (or if he does, will there be a significant amount)?

his rear shocks are shot as well...maybe he can kill 2 birds with one stone. Any help/suggestions?

You've got to be kidding right? He knows this is a 4 door and knows it is slow right? I know body kits add at least 40 HP though. That aside, any car can be lowered, and please do it the right way. If he's talking about cutting anything, he will damage the car. Here's what's needed:

Front / Back Caster Camber Kits
Lower springs (Eibach preferred) DO NOT GET COIL OVERS
New shocks/struts

The reason for new shocks are because the factory ones will blow out due to the pressure from the drop since it wasn't made to be that way. He's looking at least another $1000 to do it right.

Nice way to waste money if you ask me since this car is not fast.

:lame::fluffy::fluffy:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For a complete asshole, you do have some good info.

but unfortunately you're still an idiot. The idea is that sure, hes not gonna make it fast, but might as well make it look good. You're idealogy that only fast cars should have body kits/look good is about as stupid as you sound. Sentras take a lot of work to be fast, and if you're all about fast cars then theres plenty other manufacturers and other boards you can be trolling, no point for you to be here. And if you're a "but i take pride in making a slow car fast" then you are the one wasting your money. Go make a fast car faster, trust me that'll be alot more worth it.

and for your information im here asking questions BECAUSE i want him to do everything "the right way." Who do you think you are assuming people dont know shit about cars and figure "cut the spring, that makes sense to make it lower!"

My suggestion to you is that you improve your attitude or stop posting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
whats up with camber and caster kits? we were gonna go the ebay route on my friends car with some $50 springs. also is it safe to run them coilovers for auto-x ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and for your information im here asking questions BECAUSE i want him to do everything "the right way."
Lower it right or you will break things. Listen to maroonsentra.
learn to read. Being told to "lower it right" is something I planned on helping my friend get done before I even registered on these boards, just here lookin for tips on whats included on "lowering it right." :lame:

to the above poster...the camber and caster kits will enable the car to be properly aligned after it gets lowered. Lowering without adjusting the alignment is gonna cause it to drive a little funny, and the stock set-up wont let you get the alignment right with lowering springs.

·
Registered
156 Posts
learn to read. Being told to "lower it right" is something I planned on helping my friend get done before I even registered on these boards, just here lookin for tips on whats included on "lowering it right." :lame:

to the above poster...the camber and caster kits will enable the car to be properly aligned after it gets lowered. Lowering without adjusting the alignment is gonna cause it to drive a little funny, and the stock set-up wont let you get the alignment right with lowering springs.
What I mean is don't buy ebay springs with auto zone struts and expect it to perform. You don't need to be a dick.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Go make a fast car faster, trust me that'll be alot more worth it.
i want to get in on this arguement. that is a bunch of poopy. you can take a sentra spend $3000 and make it do high 12 second runs. you can take a corvette and spend $3000 and make it go from low 13 to 13 flat or a high 12.
slow cars are the best cause its funny as hell when you havent spent much money on a car and the car your racing is expensive

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
some people who can sink 5-10k into a car have enough money to throw around to get something like a corvette z06 (and the new zr1) can do well under 13s in the 1/4 mile and 0-60 in under 5 seconds. They can also go over 200mph.

Show me 4-banger that can do that. Thats what im talking about. Regardless of what i said about making a fast car faster though, isnt just absurd to think "only fast cars should look good" as is implied in by maroon? o_O

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thats a good point. Here is what I did. I bought some eibach sportline springs, bought some kyb struts and thats it. My car looks good but it rides like shit. From what I understand, the 1.9 inch drop that I did wasn't a good idea due to the lack of wheel travel. By the way the advertised 1.9 inch drop was a little over 2 inches. I want a shorter strut but can't find one. :lame:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats a good point. Here is what I did. I bought some eibach sportline springs, bought some kyb struts and thats it. My car looks good but it rides like shit. From what I understand, the 1.9 inch drop that I did wasn't a good idea due to the lack of wheel travel. By the way the advertised 1.9 inch drop was a little over 2 inches. I want a shorter strut but can't find one. :lame:
yeah see my friend has 17s on his car...id say most he can do is maybe 1.2 inches all around. Did you get the caster/camber kit to properly redo your alignment?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not to discourage anybody but i have gotten negative response on lowering a b14 from lots of people maybe i might not know too much about this topic but how the car drives is very important but if you guys want to lower it then eibach springs are the way to go if you want it to feel as best as possible you guys sound like gurus anyways but and if he got 17's id say no more then 1.0 drop i got 16's on mine and 1.0 inch drop is more then enough good luck with your project.... keep updating us

·
Registered
215 Posts
some people who can sink 5-10k into a car have enough money to throw around to get something like a corvette z06 (and the new zr1) can do well under 13s in the 1/4 mile and 0-60 in under 5 seconds. They can also go over 200mph.

Show me 4-banger that can do that. Thats what im talking about. Regardless of what i said about making a fast car faster though, isnt just absurd to think "only fast cars should look good" as is implied in by maroon? o_O
1st of all the new z06 and zr1 are both low 12 second cars and both have a 0-60 better than 3.8. im talking about 2000 corvette that currently is affordable. 2nd i said 3k. you wanna drop 10k get a s13 drop a rb26dett nur spec invest in some good rear rubber and you can probably see 11 maybe high 10.9. nur =580 bhp you will put 500whp(stock). motor you can get for about 5k and have money to play around with.

·
Registered
505 Posts
For a complete asshole, you do have some good info.

but unfortunately you're still an idiot. The idea is that sure, hes not gonna make it fast, but might as well make it look good. You're idealogy that only fast cars should have body kits/look good is about as stupid as you sound. Sentras take a lot of work to be fast, and if you're all about fast cars then theres plenty other manufacturers and other boards you can be trolling, no point for you to be here. And if you're a "but i take pride in making a slow car fast" then you are the one wasting your money. Go make a fast car faster, trust me that'll be alot more worth it.

and for your information im here asking questions BECAUSE i want him to do everything "the right way." Who do you think you are assuming people dont know shit about cars and figure "cut the spring, that makes sense to make it lower!"

My suggestion to you is that you improve your attitude or stop posting.
Because I see people cut springs all the time, thinking that is the right way. Don't appreciate you cussing at me either with your amazing 17 posts, you must know alot. I was telling him to do it the right way, but am totally open to my opinion and can speak as I wish. My opinion was that lowering this car is a waste as he's going to need to invest in some good struts, caster camber, etc. This all totals over $1000 easy, especally if you have to pay for the labor. Then if the car is ever sold, it will just be thrown away.

Next time, think before you speak.:wtf:

·
Registered
505 Posts
whats up with camber and caster kits? we were gonna go the ebay route on my friends car with some $50 springs. also is it safe to run them coilovers for auto-x ?
$50? What are these, homemade? Coilovers suck, don't get them. Coilovers are cheap and give you a big drop, and you'll know it when you drive the car. You'll feel every bump and your car will go out of alignment alot.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts