Nissan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
lol... you have no idea

chimmike said:
nobody has seen 22hp from an SAFC....and the butterfly valves have been proven to open up at 5400rpm.
No. Next time you drive your car, listen, and use your head. The secondary butterflies open at 5000 rpm. If yours don't, then maybe you have a problem, but mine have since I bought the damn thing. Try doing a little more work. and the 22 hp. thing, i didn't mean to make it sound like fact, it was something that i was told, and thought i would throw that tid bit out there. Personally, i don't believe it either, i can see about 8.

·
Registered
25 Posts
chimmike said:
nobody has seen 22hp from an SAFC....and the butterfly valves have been proven to open up at 5400rpm.
What are you hearing open up when the tach hits 5k? Unless the tach is off as far as the speedo is on these cars. LOL. I have a CAI and when it gets alot louder, the tach reads 5 on the button. Is there something else making the noise? Not trying to question you, just trying to learn.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thats the sound of your secondary runenrs opening up. Sound bad ass huh :thumbup: :hal: :fluffy: :cheers: :cool: . At like 5100 RPMS they open up to allow more air into your engine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
VTEC operates on oil pressure. The computer tells a solenoid to open up and the oil pressure moves a pin into place activating extra rocker arms that contact the agressive cam lobes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
B13Sentra2DR said:
VTEC operates on oil pressure. The computer tells a solenoid to open up and the oil pressure moves a pin into place activating extra rocker arms that contact the agressive cam lobes.
Yup, you got it right. All the BS about the cam profile changing is just that, BS. It would be imposible to change the profile of a solid state cam. Thus far motor technology dictates that you can only change the way an engine runs with a specific cam and internal setup not the other way around.

Oh, and I would have to agree that the second runners are not fully open until ~5100 RPM or so, they probably start to open at 5K. I have tried running my car to figure it out but it seems that the vavle is not letting the maximum amount of air in (and therefore is not fully open) until 5100 RPM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
damn chimmike knows his stuff thats dope i wish i knew all of that :D, is there a way that the spec-v can be tune differently, u know how euro cars get chip and that makes a big big different cause my friend has a jetta and he did that and his car is really fast now , so is there a chip that can do that to our cars, if there is what is it? cause my friend had hear about putting a REVO chip but i dont know about that. thank :confused:

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
I'd like to know more about his tuning theory. On a dead stock 06 spec, would it gain anything? Heck even if all it did was increast gas mileage (safely without risking engine harm mind you) it just may be worth it to such a thing?

For example, im not about to put money or time into any kind of bolt ons at this point, but a few tricks i've heard sound tempting to take a closer look into.

Namely a voltage controller and this advanced tuning stuff. I really know nothing about either, but if i can plug and play a little box that better controls the cars voltage and results in a side effect of better mileage and a tick more power, im all for it as it will save me money in the long run and make things a tad more fun.

And tuning? Im always hearing about these computer programmer tools for trucks and American automotives that will increase power and milage without changing anything on the car itself; just push the button the on controller as its plugged into the car. Y don't i ever hear about that on here? And do manufactures really deprogram the ecus to be that restrictive? I mean adding gas mileage and hp without having to bolt on a preformance exhaust seems like kind of a no brainer to me.

Or is this SAFC thing which i haven't a clue what your talking about, is that tool

·
Registered
63 Posts
tryptych said:
No. Next time you drive your car, listen, and use your head. The secondary butterflies open at 5000 rpm. If yours don't, then maybe you have a problem, but mine have since I bought the damn thing. Try doing a little more work. and the 22 hp. thing, i didn't mean to make it sound like fact, it was something that i was told, and thought i would throw that tid bit out there. Personally, i don't believe it either, i can see about 8.

Is there a way to see the runner control? In my '96 Taurus you can see the butterflies snap open at 3500RPM from under the hood. Just put it in neutral and yank the throttle cable until you see movement, if they work or not. That might be easier than trying to listen to it as you rev past 5K.

·
Registered
44 Posts
chimmike said:
You may see powergains if you are running a turbo system with an untuned safc, then after you tune the safc you may see power gains. On an NA car it doesnt do anything really. And yes butterfly valves do open around 5400-5500rpm ish

·
Registered
22 Posts
04SerSpecV said:
Hi all
My question is is there anyway to have that kick in before 5000rpm. Like does anyone make a controler for that ex: the A'PEXi V-TEC AFC II. If so please let me know also if not will there ever be one in the future?

Thanks
Preston
"Continuous Valve Timing Controller" Try the A'PEXi SAFC-II. Im petty sure that you cant change the RPM that CVTC "cracks" though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok, first I havent been here long and I can tell that chimmike knows his stuff. Nice schooling on the CVTC vs.- V-Tec. However I have to ask where you got that it opens up at 5400 RPM though. I have had my 04 since it came out of the show room, and it has always engaged the secondaries at 5,000 even with a 6250 RPM fuel/rev. cut.

FYI, I dont have a scanner so I cant prove it numbers wise, but I will post a link to a picture of my interior when I can. I had my Apexi' SAFCII tuned for max peak power while still maintaining a safe fuel ratio on the dyno, and all I saw was 8 hp. In order to see more of a power gain and really appriciate the SAFCII I had to replace a LOT of parts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
modenaf1 said:
Is there a way to see the runner control? In my '96 Taurus you can see the butterflies snap open at 3500RPM from under the hood. Just put it in neutral and yank the throttle cable until you see movement, if they work or not. That might be easier than trying to listen to it as you rev past 5K.
Just so you know, you can only hear the difference going down the road with a spec-v. Revving it at idle only makes it bark really loud. Also, you cant rev them from under the hood. There is no throttle cable, its all electronic controlled.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought the apexi s afc neo after i got a stage 2 port and polish and the nismo cams in my car, i also but a walbro 190 lph fuel pump as well. You can use it on the controllable valve timing but it is not worth the while. it is real hard to setup on our cars as well but when u figure it out it works great. you can control a bunch of stuff and it works even better when you put a turbo on your car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Theres a way to wire the AFC neo and have the secondaries kick in at 4500 and stay open until the car comes back down to 4000. I googled "qr25de wiring harness for AFC NEO" and a forum came up on b15sentra.net of a kid that had the pin layouts for all year spec V's check that shit out...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know why you would want to change it, It's set to 5000rpm because it's doing a job. The QR25de in it's natural state loses major power at 5000rpm, and they put the system in to increase airflow and keep power somewhat consistent. If you want more time in CVTC, order the Jim Wolf Technology Balance Shaft Removal(BSR) and valves and valvesprings, this will increase the rev limit to 7200rpm.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I don't know why you would want to change it, It's set to 5000rpm because it's doing a job. The QR25de in it's natural state loses major power at 5000rpm, and they put the system in to increase airflow and keep power somewhat consistent. If you want more time in CVTC, order the Jim Wolf Technology Balance Shaft Removal(BSR) and valves and valvesprings, this will increase the rev limit to 7200rpm.
The BSR, aftermarket valves, and aftermarket valvesprings will NOT increase your rev limit. Your rev limit is set within your ECU. The three above mentioned things simply increase the safety of raising your rev limit.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts