Nissan Forum banner

Can I Turbocharge this beast?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  wes 
#1 ·
Hey I have an 92 Sentra SE-R with 130,000 miles on it (SR20DE). Would it be safe to turbocharge it in its current state, or would I need to do a rebuild on it? I've been told that I would need a rebuild, and I've also been told that I would be fine without one.

Also, how many PSI do you think I should run through it? I really want to get at least 200 hp to the wheels.

By the way, what kind of exhaust do you think I should run on it with the turbo in it? What about without the turbo?

Thanks for all your help!
Rick

#3 ·
RabidRaccoon said:
Hey I have an 92 Sentra SE-R with 130,000 miles on it (SR20DE). Would it be safe to turbocharge it in its current state, or would I need to do a rebuild on it? I've been told that I would need a rebuild, and I've also been told that I would be fine without one.

Also, how many PSI do you think I should run through it? I really want to get at least 200 hp to the wheels.

By the way, what kind of exhaust do you think I should run on it with the turbo in it? What about without the turbo?

Rick
Welcome to the board. SR20's are stout motors, weather or not your motor needs a rebuild depends on the results of a leakdown and compression test. If those tests come out OK then I'd turbo it as is.

You should do some reading on SR20 turbo applications as there are so many you will want to figure out what setup suits your needs and goals. That being said the amont of boost you want/need to run to achieve your goals will depend on what turbo you choose.

And as far as exhaust, I would wait because if you go turbo you will use a totally different exhaust than if you stay NA.

#5 ·
Sweet I appreciate the welcome. I will definately look into those other posts as well as the FAQs. I can't believe I didn't find those other threads before. I'll remember to check the FAQs first from now on, too. Anyway, I'll post back if I have more questions or run into trouble.

Thanks again!
Rick

#6 ·
RabidRaccoon said:

Rick

Hey man... I dont really have an answer to your question. Actually, I was wondering what kinda transmission goes with the (sr20de). I have an automatic sentra... and I wanna throw in the sr20de, but I dunno what type of trany I need, or what will fit, so get back to me if you can thanx man !!!

#7 ·
ThaTsWaSuP93 said:
Hey man... I dont really have an answer to your question. Actually, I was wondering what kinda transmission goes with the (sr20de). I have an automatic sentra... and I wanna throw in the sr20de, but I dunno what type of trany I need, or what will fit, so get back to me if you can thanx man !!!
You will need an SR20 FWD tranny. Any of the SR20 transmissions from the 9-97 will fit. The 98 and later will fit also however they do not have an LSD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.