Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out my high idle problems on '87 n/t. I looked under the car at the muffler and noticed a quarter size hole in it. Just for about one minute is it ok to put tape over the hole to see if that's the problem I've been looking for? I plan on buying a new muffler this week.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
why not just buy muffler tape at wal mart? its like sticky foil.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
A hole in the muffler is only going to make it louder and won't affect your idle.

·
FIVE SPEED&FOAM INJECTION
1,541 Posts
X3...........I dont even think Eric still has an exhaust on his car, it wouldnt make any difference. Just adjust you idle....check all your connections---throttle linkage...tps..etc

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Yeah Eric has a 2-3ft piece of 3" pipe;) Full Custom exhuast

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JAMESZ said:
Thats not your problem.

Have you tried adjusting the idle?
No, I've never tried adjusting the idle. I don't know how really. I thought I saw a sign under the hood that said, you can't adjust the idle because it was sealed at the factory?

Anyway, I put the tape over the holes and made a big difference. Wow, the exhaust system is expensive if you get the whole package.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Duct tape could conceivably be a fire hazard. I'd would say replace it with some metal tape, available at any Home Depot. The idle has nothing to do with holes in the muffler, that's a seperate issue....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
Duct tape could conceivably be a fire hazard. I'd would say replace it with some metal tape, available at any Home Depot. The idle has nothing to do with holes in the muffler, that's a seperate issue....
Thanks, I had some of that metal tape by chance but I just found an exhaust system just like the factory for a reasonable price. What do you think about it? I'm thinking of just buying the muffler and converter then have a mechanic put it on. Don't you have to weld it together?

http://store.summitracing.com/largeimage.asp?part=PSM-88-1375

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
slicked25 said:
Thanks, I had some of that metal tape by chance but I just found an exhaust system just like the factory for a reasonable price. What do you think about it? I'm thinking of just buying the muffler and converter then have a mechanic put it on. Don't you have to weld it together?

http://store.summitracing.com/largeimage.asp?part=PSM-88-1375
I suppose, if you aren't planning on being at the track, then you can have it welded together. Mine is completely removeable, and I plan on keeping it that way. Welding it in is a bit more permanent, and you'll have to worry about rust in as little as a year. I don't like muffler shops that use welding as a solution to everything, I usually stay away from places like that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Duct tape could conceivably be a fire hazard. I'd would say replace it with some metal tape, available at any Home Depot. The idle has nothing to do with holes in the muffler, that's a separate issue....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Personally i prefer welded exhaust but always with bolted connections at cat and muffler so its easier to remove if u have to drop tranny. To me its just cheap and shody workmanship to have those stupid exhaust clamps on a car they don't seal and u end up with excessive heat and discolored spots on underside of car. Thats just me.

Is you a/c or defroster switch turned on that will cause constant high idle.

definite no on the duct tape.

·
Z31 know-it-all
1,023 Posts
Four years old people. This thread was more than four years old.

Damn newbies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts