Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
B13 GA16DET
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
can i leak oil from my exhaust hole.when the engine is running i can see oil bubbling out where the head meets the header. i have a rebuilt engine with 10,000 miles on it. its not the valve stem seals becuase i just changed them and i still have the same problem. did i blow my head gasket? all 4 cylinders have great compression ( 150psi ). so i dont think the head is cracked. the next thing to do is check the head gasket. what do you guys think heres a video

YouTube - blown head

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
I wouldn't say head gasket... those when blown usually only let coolant through, not oil. I think it might be the seal on the aluminium valve cover that is square (kind of hard to explain). I had it go out on my car, and my engine left a massive trail of blue smoke until I changed valve covers.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,229 Posts
I would have to agree. It looks like you've got a leaking valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Give it a good clean, then start and watch to see where the oil is comming from.
Ive seen once before, the exhaust stud was tightened to far into the head, and oil was seaping out there.

·
B13 GA16DET
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't say head gasket... those when blown usually only let coolant through, not oil. I think it might be the seal on the aluminium valve cover that is square (kind of hard to explain). I had it go out on my car, and my engine left a massive trail of blue smoke until I changed valve covers.
I would have to agree. It looks like you've got a leaking valve cover gasket.
my car doesnt make blue smoke. i changed the valve cover gasket and applied crazy amounts of rtv sealant so i know the oil isnt from the valve cover gasket. when the car is running i can see it coming out from between the header and head, and nothing from the valve cover.

on another note my oil looks like milkshake. isnt that one of the signs of blown head gasket?

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
I'm not talking about the actual valve cover gasket. Take off your valve cover, and flip it over. There is a small square seal; that is what I am talking about. I believe it is for ventilation (possible PCV?), and this seal prevents oil from your cams from leaking into your combustion chambers. If this seal is bad, oil is seeping into your exhaust valves and that might be your culprit. If I only had my digital camera with me, I'd take a picture of it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
How about this...

let the engine run till you see the oil comming out from where you see it.
Then switch off.
Hopefully it wont be to hot to remove the headers to check if the hole (port) is oiled up.
This should give a definate answer.

·
B13 GA16DET
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm not talking about the actual valve cover gasket. Take off your valve cover, and flip it over. There is a small square seal; that is what I am talking about. I believe it is for ventilation (possible PCV?), and this seal prevents oil from your cams from leaking into your combustion chambers. If this seal is bad, oil is seeping into your exhaust valves and that might be your culprit. If I only had my digital camera with me, I'd take a picture of it.
please take a picture of it anyway you can. the square thing your talking about when you flip the valve cover over is the square thing on the right side of the cover?my leak is on the left side. also how do you exlain the antifreeze going into the oil. i check my dipstick and the oil looked milky. i would love it to be that seal your talking about but i highly doubt it. i will check out that square because im not in the mood to lift off the head. i just put everything back in

1 - 10 of 10 Posts