Nissan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was replacing the waterpump on my 95 maxima and while doing so i was suppost to turn the crankshaft counterclock wise to loosen the chain around the pump except i kinda turned the crankshaft too much and took the #1 piston out of TDC :dumbass: . So I talked to some people and found out that I could stick a screwdriver in the #1 sparkplug hole turn the crankshaft until i feel the top of the piston. Supposively that puts it back to TDC. I also alined an arrow on the waterpump cover with a mark that the crankshaft has on it. So i put everything back together, I go to turn the car on and it sounds like if the piston is hitting something or like if it doesnt have enough oil> It was a pretty loud sound. Well the fluids are all at full and i checked all the connections everything looks fine. Some guy said that the piston could be hitting a valve, but im not sure of how the inside of the engine works so he left me in the same position that i am now "clueless"!

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yo man, hopefully ur not driving htat car. Ur friend is right ur hittin something. Simply go back and re-work teh crank to place cylinder #1 at TDC, if u have to get more precise like intake or exhaust stroke, get like a straw and put it in the spark plug hole, and as u turn it u have to pay attention as to which stroke the straw goes higher, the higher the straw travels, its Intake. HOpe that helps

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
WTF?

The piston goes to the same point whether you're on intake or exhaust stroke. it's connected to a solid forged steel crankshaft that spins in a circle. it's not going to have eccentric wobbles like that.

you're close on the theory, but you're missing a lot of pertinent info.

here's the info on autozone's website. it shows you doing some fun stuff to the crank, but I really didn't read over it much.
http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroke..._us/0900823d/80/1f/47/d4/0900823d801f47d4.jsp

I would highly suggest getting a factory service manual if you plan to do this type of work on your car in the future. it's an invaluable tool that will save your butt in cases like this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts