Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...Im new to the whole mod issues of the day, but i have raced many stock and won.... This little nissan sure kicks butt. I have a Super Black '96 Sentra gxe but heres my problem on mods... I recently put a new engine in it...Well I had no choice ....I have a whole the size of a soft ball in my old engine block. Well, the guy that put it in for me had found it in a junk yard in a car that looked like a sentra. It was pretty much totaled except for the engine compartment....They odometer hat 12,000 miles on it and it cranked up beautifully. Which was a good sign. It was supposed to be a plug and play type of install... For they most part it was excet for the knock sensor has no place to plug in on this engine and the intake and pulleys are different. The intake on this engine was bigger than my origianl so we put my old intake on it cause we werent sure if it would affect the ecu. Then we try to change the oil and a whole nother problem arose. Tey oil filter for the 1.6L i had doesnt fit. So we took the old filter off the new engine and pain stakinly crossed refrenced whut it was for. We finally found out that the oil filter we pulled off was off of a 200SX 2.0L. Also the pully on the crank on the new engine is a 4 rib and my old one was 6 rib. I am lost as to whut kind of engine I have in my car....lol Can some one please guide me in finding out the answers... I would love to give my car som extra kick but i guess i really need to find out whut the hell it is i have under the hood....thx all

·
Registered
500 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply

Whut about the 1.8L can u tell me some about it.....I just cant believe it would still be the 1.6L...I definetly have more power than I had before.....Maybe its an older 1.6L and the guy lied and told me it was a '96. I do know it has a metal valve cover....looks like aluminum. It was black and had some corrosion on it from sittin up. would that explain the oil filter issue if it was older... I am really confused and I dont know if i should be mad at the machanic or not...lol thanks again:cool:

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
Well, unless the mechanic did a fair amount of work (ECU swap, new motor mounts, etc.) you have the same engine as before, the GA16DE. Does the intake manifold say "ECCS" on it, right on the top above the valve cover? If it does, you've got a 1.6. Otherwise, you've got a 2.0, because a 1.8 swap would have to be either the QG18DE (which wouldn't be worth the trouble and only comes in the B15, which is OBDII, which is a mess in itself) or a CA18DE, which is a pretty funky swap into a B14. Just take a picture of the engine and we'll be able to ID it in about five seconds.

·
Surf
807 Posts
Re: Thanks for the reply

kc5tdr said:
Whut about the 1.8L can u tell me some about it.....I just cant believe it would still be the 1.6L...I definetly have more power than I had before.....Maybe its an older 1.6L and the guy lied and told me it was a '96. I do know it has a metal valve cover....looks like aluminum. It was black and had some corrosion on it from sittin up. would that explain the oil filter issue if it was older... I am really confused and I dont know if i should be mad at the machanic or not...lol thanks again:cool:
I wouldn't be mad at the mechanic if you have more power now then you did before...shit, id be happy :)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No there is no eccs on the top of the intake that i can find....maybe im just looking in the wrong place. I will take a pic as soon as my friend gets back with his camera. Well I tell ya whut ever the machanic did to this engine, if it is a GA, sure makes me happy :) . Thank u all for the help and i will post pics as soon as i get them...later all

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
The marking "ECCS" is on the top of the intake manifold itself, not the intake tube. When you get pictures we'll be able to sort it out :) .

·
Registered
393 Posts
shouldnt there be a stamp of some sort on the engine block to tell you what the motor is? maybe he pulled an old sr20 out. you said the pulleys are different, and the valve cover is metal-looking. and w/ the oil-filter being a 2.0, ill bet its an sr20

·
Towards Antisocial
592 Posts
Hey KC, so far it sounds like you got a SR20 swap on the low low. I NEED those pics. I GOTTA know.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
u said it was a 2.0L right? and that it came from a 200sx then it must be an sr20de, u have an se-r in a ga16

·
Towards Antisocial
592 Posts
where are you KC, we want to know what the outcome of this little situation is!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts