Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a VIN# and decoded it with help from this web site and my service manual. For some reason I could not determine if the car was manufactured for California or not.

The V.I.N.# is: 1N4BB42D5TC500001

The car is a 200SX SE-R, I presume that’s what one of the “B” stand for, but what determines the California emission setup? I really want to know.
Is the information even located in the VIN or do I need a model# or something?

Much application to anyone who can give me this technical information.

Thanks;)

Seth

·
Banned
492 Posts
1N4 denotes that the car was made in the USA.

·
Registered
205 Posts
What year is it? Only thing I can tell you that I know is if it's a 97 200sx se-r then it wasn't since that year/model wasn't legal in Cali due to emissions (in stock form).

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
97PocketRocket said:
What year is it? Only thing I can tell you that I know is if it's a 97 200sx se-r then it wasn't since that year/model wasn't legal in Cali due to emissions (in stock form).
LOL! The funny thing was the year is in the VIN#...:D

The V.I.N.# is: 1N4BB42D5TC500001

1N4 = USA
B = ?
B = Nissan Sentra/NX coupe
4 = Modle change
2 = 2-door sedan
D = Restraint system
5 = check digit
T = Model year (P=93,Q=94,R=95,S=96,T=97...)
C = Manufacture Plant: Smyrna, Tennessee
all the rest = serial #

So if what your saying is true about the 97 200sx SE-R then I will assume this is a non-California emissions vehicle.

Thanks a million!
That was informative and educational all at the same time.:)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hehe, forgot the year of manufacture is in the VIN...oh well, but yeah, I had read that about 97's on se-r.net not long ago and I had read it somewhere else not long after I had bought mine back in 97. I'm sure there's ways to make it legal there now with aftermarket parts but I'm not sure what made that year fail emissions, knowing California they probably got stricter in 97 and the car was no different than the previous year.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Anybody wanna decode my VIN....?
I already know it was made in Mexico.. I love how every little thing on my car has "MADE IN MEXICO" on it....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts