Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ok well look this might a joke to some but have u ever seen a supra shoot outta a flame or a turbo vr6 or even a honda prelude with just basic bolt on's shoot a flame maybe...or maybe not but if u have then u under stand

·
Hates everyone.
1,921 Posts
Boromir said:
ive seen cars shooting flames. but whats the benefits of it?
A bit long -

It depends on the application. Keep in mind, from a performance perspective, no one sets out specifically to shoot flames, it's a byproduct of modifications and changes to the normal settings of the car. Those sparkplug type kits are only for show and do not improve the performance of the car. To some though, they do look Mad Tyte and Supa Fly, so I guess that's good enough.

However, some cars do it as a result of tuning. Free flowing exhausts and rich fuel mixtures result in more unburned fuel exiting the combustion chamber and igniting in the exhaust or upon exiting the exhaust. This results in the flame and popping sound. This is especially apparent when the throttle is suddenly dropped. For an example of this, watch touring cars and ALMS GT racers on Speedvision. Almost every time they downshift, there's a flame.

Another example of flaming exhausts is on WRC rally cars, which tend to shoot a lot of flames. The reason for this is the anti-lag setting for the turbo. With all the changes to the throttle they make on a stage, they need to keep the turbo spooling. So, when the throttle is released, the engine management actually allows some extra fuel to flow so it can ignite in the exhaust system and keep the turbo wound even though the engine isn't producing power. That way, when they hit the gas again, they have instant boost (300 hp & 580 lb-ft:eek: of torque in the Pugeots, according to Nicky Grist in the Rally Australia coverage). This system can also be turned off from the cockpit so they don't have to use it between stages as it's hard on the turbo and exhaust

·
100NX2000
346 Posts
Yes you can shoot flames. I actually know a distributer that sells the kit for $80.00. It uses a propane tank and stainless lines that tap into to your exhaust right before the tip. You use a toggle switch to activate the valve to release some pronane and (I do not know what it is called) a igniter of some sort, like on a cigarette lighter. Your flames can be varied by the amount of propane is distributed.

And yes, they do list an application for the GA16, 2TC, 3TC, 4G63 B16C and H22A.
The company is called Finish Line Racing. They are located in NYC. Call them here and post back. Tell them Rick told you to call:

(212)479-7990.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
fcsmotorsports said:
However, some cars do it as a result of tuning. Free flowing exhausts and rich fuel mixtures result in more unburned fuel exiting the combustion chamber and igniting in the exhaust or upon exiting the exhaust. This results in the flame and popping sound. This is especially apparent when the throttle is suddenly dropped. For an example of this, watch touring cars and ALMS GT racers on Speedvision. Almost every time they downshift, there's a flame.
so my exaust may be shooting flames all the time? my exaust pops like mad when i down shift! no wonder cops f#$k with me so much at night!!!:eek:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok i got a Apexi N1 exhaust cocked to the side it looks pretty damn good but my boy has a 89 rx-7 with dual n1's on it and it not turbo that thing can shoot for day's and still runs a 14.2 so hey i mean u tell me something. I know that it is a rotory motor and the mechanics behind it is a little different then a ga but hey i think i know how am gonna do get a Apexi SAfc then see what i can do then

·
Hang out wit yo Wang out!
546 Posts
themonster4door said:
Ok i got a Apexi N1 exhaust cocked to the side it looks pretty damn good but my boy has a 89 rx-7 with dual n1's on it and it not turbo that thing can shoot for day's and still runs a 14.2 so hey i mean u tell me something. I know that it is a rotory motor and the mechanics behind it is a little different then a ga but hey i think i know how am gonna do get a Apexi SAfc then see what i can do then

Got any pics of that setup??

·
Hates everyone.
1,921 Posts
LOL at landlord

themonster4door said:
I know that it is a rotory motor and the mechanics behind it is a little different then a ga
Uh, yeah, that's an understatement. Other than the fact they both use gas and a sparkplug, there isn't much in common at all. Don't plan on having RX-7 style backfires just because you have a similar exhaust as one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
naw not yet but i got pic of the HID and rims for now but i will let u know when i do get a pic of it

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
ScarCrow28 said:
CLSO1A- it wasn't in F&F, it was in Gone in Sixty Seconds.

You are both wrong

·
Viva el iPod
1,232 Posts
Shooting flames out of a catalytic converter equipped car is bad. Much of the enriched exhaust will ignite in the cat, turning it into a hard, black lump. This will eventuall restrict exhaust flow, cause your car to run poorly, and cause the cat to heat up enough that it could set your interior carpet on fire.

IIRC running really hot cams can do it too, because of the overlap, some of the intake charge can pushed out with the exhaust. I had hot cams on my VW, but when I wanted flames, I would run the carbs rich, imagine a Bug with a stinger exhaust shooting flames into the air!

·
FIVE SPEED&FOAM INJECTION
1,541 Posts
Can you even do it with a car that has a cat?

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
My car has probably done it a couple times with my open atmosphere BOV. But oh well.

·
FIVE SPEED&FOAM INJECTION
1,541 Posts
How the hell is your bov going to throw flames? Go back to the Z section.........you are a fish out of water here.......quit following me or I will have you arrested Gaywad.....

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.