Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i read Kojima's type up on camshafts but when I checked at JWT, they only offer the camshafts for the SR20DE. Could the JWT sight me old and outdated, or did Kojima just get special treatment and get the camshafts before they were to be distributed to vendors. This would be an amazing upgrade because he said that the Jim Wolf camshafts added 42 horses in the usable range! Wow, that ialmost half of the hp a stock Sentra runs. He also mentioned that putting B14 camshafts into the B13 engine would add power. Does anyone know how much?

1,267 Posts
In my testing, the JWT did not lose bottom end power from stock (the bigger the cam generally, the less bottom end) and were good for a solid 7-peak hp. The gains were recorded from 5000 rpm on. At 7300 rpm the cams produced an amazing 42 more hp than the stock cams!
I don't remember where I saw it, but there was a dyno graph comparing the stock cams to the JWT ones, and the reason JWT makes 42hp is because the stock cams dyno shows power dropping off in the 6k range. So it's not a 42hp peak gain, just at that one part of the powerband it is.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if you have the ECU and camshafts you only get that extra 40 hp for another 100 rpms. That really blows, I'll just put on some of the later model GA camshafts so I get useable power in my acceleration department

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If you're interested there is a group deal on the cams on sr20deforums.com....and there is a link to it on b15sentra.net group deals i think.

1,267 Posts
SentraDragon said:
So if you have the ECU and camshafts you only get that extra 40 hp for another 100 rpms. That really blows, I'll just put on some of the later model GA camshafts so I get useable power in my acceleration department
But you still get the gains from 5000 on up, with a peak of 7. Then when you get above 7000 and you're making around 40 more horsepower than you used to it will pull a lot harder. Who knows, it could be making 10hp in the middle, I gotta find that dyno graph....

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
I know what you're talking about... I remember seeing that one too but I don't remember what issue it was. I just thought that article might help a little.

·
Tuner/Mechanic
266 Posts
ok, the cams make 42hp at 7300 rpm, but make 7hp in the middle powerband area, i.e. 2800-5800 or so rpm's. still, read on and the combo of cams/ecu took like 3-5 tenths off the 1/4 mile time. i want them bad...:D

·
Administrator
1,075 Posts
Niss200SXGTR said:
oh, i see.. i know the ECU lets you go up to a 7,300 Redline right?? well.. hell. it makes it seem as if the 42 HP is like a ... a... A boost of some sort? lol..
I don't know... if you read what Mike wrote, it seems pretty clear that the gain is only at 7300 rpm:
In my testing, the JWT did not lose bottom end power from stock (the bigger the cam generally, the less bottom end) and were good for a solid 7-peak hp. The gains were recorded from 5000 rpm on. At 7300 rpm the cams produced an amazing 42 more hp than the stock cams!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You have to remember the stock bottom end will not hold the power over 7000 well. I would worry about the rod bolts letting go at this RPM. I plan to rebuild a motor with ARP bolts, rods and higher compression. I suggest that you look into rebuilding the bottom end before pushing the engine in the upper rev limit.
Chris 92 classsic

1 - 20 of 24 Posts