Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I pulled my SR20det down after blowing the head gasket.

I dont remember where the cam shaft brackets went and they are all numbered different/same. i.e. there are little dots on the top of them, like 5 dots on one end of the bracket and 2 dots on the other. Some of them have the same number. Was this engine put together with bits and pieces from other engines (wouldnt surprise me with all the problems I got with the import).

Also, when I took the pistons out and the main bearings (I have left the crank shaft in) I have noticed that two of the bearings off one piston are a different size to the other bearings, and dont fit properly. They are too small in that they arn't as wide as they other bearings. Are all the main bearings suppose to be the same size after the pistons are taken out.

When I got the car I noticed that the head seemed to be out-of-line. You could easily see that the head didn't line up right on the block as the edge of the head was inside the block on one side and over the block on the other.

The entire exhaust side of the block where the top edge of the bores are have pitting and the copper head gasket was blown through on one piston.

The guy who imported the car and complianced it has said that I overboosted the car and hotted it up so that is why it blew up. I got a front mount intercooler, new computer (MTX8) and ran 10 pounds boost tops. Also, now the engine is apart, when I spin the starter motor (on the left side of the engine, facing the front of the engine) the whole engine shakes on the engine stand like the "starter motor unit" is out-of-whack inside.

>>>
What I need to know is, are the cam shaft brackets suppose to have the same number of "dots" on them or a different number (I would think different so you can make sure what order they are in).

>>>
Are all the main bearings suppose to be the same shape and size out of all four connecting rods.

When the car that I paid to have imported and worket on and complianced by the same person arrived it had almost 20 big dings in it and I got it panel beated. It looked like it came from the wreakers.

The mags went missing.
The rear wing went missing.
Even my drink cup holder went missing.
I can only imagine what else went.

I have a feeling that someone literally threw an old engine together before I bought the car.

I complained and threatened to get a mate in Japan to take a look into it for me and they gave me a few thousand dollards back to stop the police (in Japan) getting involved, or so they made out.

I have had the car for 2 years now and when I got it dynoed when I got the parts for it they said it wasn't making power.

The car never revved past 5000rpm.

Now I am looking at a replacement engine.

The car cost, on road, $11,000 before the parts that I got for it (intercooler, computer etc. etc.). It's a 1992 model 180sx. It came with coilovers and a 3 inch exhaust and a nadi drift wheel. The engine hoses blew off when I took the car for a drive when I first took delivery of it (and I didnt even rev it).

Anyways, as DICKHEADS have said, it's all my fault for "hotting it up".

The tuners dynoed it "very conservative".

I got a Malpassi fuel preasure regular.
Front mount intercooler.
MTX8 Computer.
Blow off valve.
Borsh fuel pump.

What else could I have done to look after it and keep it reliable....

I found water in the sump and the oil was so gluggy that it wouldnt poor out of the engine parts, it fell out like a blob, and some of it was harder than jello. Some of the oil was so blobbed up that I had to use a screw driver to get it out of the engine.

Now I am getting an imported engine from a Jap importer for $2,200 and hoping it doesn't blow real soon. What else can I do. By the time I spend $$$ rebuilding the engine I could have bought a S15.

I got "Sub Zero" on the GoldCoast to install the parts in it (intercooler,computer,fuel pump, malpassi, etc.) and they are the only things on the car that have been reliable. I have used many workshops in my time and they are the best by far. There prices were very good and the work they did was excellent. They even didnt charge me for a part that they forgot to list in the quote. One mechanic who has seen some of the pictures of the block and gasket said that if it was't for the good conservitive tuning they did the engine would have blown up ages ago. I guess that dyno/tune payed for itself. I can only say good things about them.

I hope to have a new engine in it soon and am selling all the parts off my old engine that are good. Basically only the block seems stuffed. Luckilly I stopped driving it as soon as it started to blow smoke and pulled it down immediately. I didnt overheat it at all. The head is very good along with most the other parts. Let me know or look on ebay for "SR20det (rebuild or parts)" for my auction. (australia).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Oh... The main bearings that are different are too tight a fit. I mean the others slide in well and fit snug around the crank shaft, but the two from one piston are real loose and are very very tight on the crank shaft. I cannot imagine how they can spin (if they do) on the crank shaft.

If someone tells me if I can add pics to here I will show what I mean.

Also, the cam shaft bracket have different number marks on them.

One has 1 dot on one end and 2 on the other.
Two others have 2 dots on one end and 5 on the other.
They are all on one side (intake).
Some have one dot on the end, others have two dots. Several have two dots on one end and are exactly the same, all on one side.

Can someone explain what the markings mean.

Also, how do I know what position the cams go in when I put them back in.

They are facing away from each other at the moment and are at about 10 oclock (intake) and 12 oclock (exhaust) but a count of teeth (where the first "nob that hits the valves is at) from the top center would be helpfull.

Thanks all....

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,115 Posts
sexy180sexy said:
I dont remember where the cam shaft brackets went and they are all numbered different/same. i.e. there are little dots on the top of them, like 5 dots on one end of the bracket and 2 dots on the other. Some of them have the same number.

Also, when I took the pistons out and the main bearings (I have left the crank shaft in) I have noticed that two of the bearings off one piston are a different size to the other bearings, and dont fit properly. They are too small in that they arn't as wide as they other bearings. Are all the main bearings suppose to be the same size after the pistons are taken out.
The cam brackets were most likely numbered one or two punch marks for the left cam or the right cam and the other marks 1 to 5 for journal position 1 to 5 from the front.

The rod bearings should all be the same basic overall physical size with the exception of possible different grade #s; the same with the main bearings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

So the fact that two of the main bearings are a different size is not how they should be?

Also, regarding the two stamps, some have 1 dot and another has 2 dots one the same end and they can only go on one side (confirms with the arrow and direction of the part build with the high point on the right side).

If I can add a picture I can show what I mean.

Also, I am selling some SR20det engine parts and need to know "roughly" what they are worth.

Can you please give me a very rough estimate (based on good condition) of what you think they are worth to sell.

They are:

Turbo
Exhaust manifold and dump pipe
Computer
Wiring harness
Injectors
Bolts/ nuts associated with the turbo setup
Full intake manifold setup

Any help of an idea of what these parts are worth would be very helpfull.

Thanks all

(sorry it is in the turbo section. can it be moved ?)

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,115 Posts
sexy180sexy said:
So the fact that two of the main bearings are a different size is not how they should be?
It could be that who ever put the motor together used two different brands of bearings.

If you want to post pictures, use the 'insert hyperlink' icon; the link would point to a web server where you have the picture images stored.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts