Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting the cams back into my engine and I forgot to mark the position they were in....doh.

At the moment they are facing opposite (no.1) with the intake at 10 oclock and exhaust at 12 oclock.

At the moment the cam "nodes" are facing opposite and a little up (roughly at 10 oclock for intake cam node and 2 oclock for the exhaust cam node).

Is this correct.

Can someone tell me how many teeth away from the top they should be at. e.g. at the very top center how many teeth do I count down around before I should have the cam "node/bumb".

I also understand that "top dead center" is when the first piston is at the top.

Thankyou for any replys.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much. I looked everywhere for this info.Thanks....

My manual is for an s14 (black top) and I have an s13 (red top) and the manual shows different cams than mine. They have some dowel points on the end of them and mine dont.

Also what is stupid is the manual shows the back end of the cams with the left one called the right one and the right one called the left one. I presumed that they have it like that because it is as if you were looking at it from the front of the engine, but in the next diagram from the from of the cams (where the teeth are) it has the one on the left marked as the right one and the one on the right marked as the lft one!

I cant believe they made a mistake. It is the S14 service manual.

If i work out how to add a piture I will show what it has.

Doh....

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had some trouble with this as well using the S14 manual. Basically the cam keys need to be turned according to the FSM, with one @ 10 o'clock and other at 12, as you've described. I followed the FSM to the letter and didn't have much trouble outside of having a helluva time installing the GReddy RAS's because they blocked the hexagonal portion of the cam that you use to stabilize it while tightened the sprocket bolts.

I actually semi-installed the sprockets to turn the cams where I needed them before installing the timing chain, mainly because I couldn't get a good grip on the hexagonal portion. The main thing is to get them close to 10 and 12 before tightening the cam retainers, then using the hexagonal portion to get them finally positioned before tightening the sprockets and putting the chain on.

I'm not sure if this answered your question or not. :fluffy:

-Andy

·
Registered
347 Posts
Be carefull on the TDC Piston, AS #1 and 4 are both on top and 180 out is possible.
Make sure the cranksensor marks match to ensure it is at #1.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts