Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking I'll finish the other half of my DIY CAI and I'm not sure if I scrap that goofy box that is under the rubber flex tube and has a hose connected to it, or If I have to incorporate that into my TB to MAF pipe. Anyone got pics of their CAI's on the 1.6L? Pics of either DIY or store bought would be greatly appreciated!

·
Nissan Freak
462 Posts
hot shot on my car

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
I'm selling my custom one it uses a JWT pop charger in the wheel fender area with a CNC'd plate. With this setup I can almost peel going into second gear with my automatic and this setup offers some extra useable torque because of the longer 2.5" pipe (I've also got extra piping that you can cut and weld). You can find information at the Mather Motorsport's website about the extra torque. This setup also needs some reinforcing to hold up the piping and the JWT pop charger since the pop charger weighs about 4-5lbs. Here are the pictures of my intake:

If you are interested, please email me.

·
Banned
809 Posts
hahah dho, that appears to be a civic intake tube the first one..with remoded bolt on connector.. then that second tube is ghettofied.. it should be 2 1/2 A pipe, adn 3" B pipe.. IMO

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
Niss200SXGTR said:
hahah dho, that appears to be a civic intake tube the first one..with remoded bolt on connector.. then that second tube is ghettofied.. it should be 2 1/2 A pipe, adn 3" B pipe.. IMO
Why you laughing at something that was made from scratch? I took a 180 Degree 2.5" U bend and a 180 Degree 3" U bend. I hate civics, why would I used something off of their cars? What do you mean 2-1/2" a- pipe? From the MAF to the filter?? The MAF adapter plate is a 3". Then the pipe between the MAF & TB is supposed to be 2.5" and that is what I'm using. The 2.5" is the same as each of the openings from the MAF to the TB.

I did research before I created this intake. I took the information from Greg Vogel at Mossyperformance about the JWT pop charger & MAF adapter plates. I took the information from Bob Legere at Mathermotorsports about the 2.5" longer piping for more torque and power. I took the other ideas from my head and the muffler shop for the cutting and welding and painting. If I replicated the Hotshot intake, that would have required me to do many cuts and welds and refitting of these bends. Also, either the HS or the PR intakes use a 2.5" for the mid-pipe. It helps with the velocity of the air. Now if I had an SE-R TB or a RC'd TB for an SE-R I would go with a 3".

Most of the honda cold air intakes that I was aware of such as AEM intakes, had 2" piping because of their smaller displacement. Also, the GSR's only had 2-1/4 to 2-1/2" piping depending on the manufacturer. The type-r's run 3".

If you go check your 1.6L TB, it'll have a 48mm opening stock. The outside of the hole is about 2-1/4". That is why there is a 2.5" pipe between the MAF and TB. If it were the other way, why would they create 3" MAF adapter plates for 2-1/2" openings?

Anyway, back to the subject, most of the people that I talked to said that this would be the ultimate cold air intake setup. If I had a real shop to work in, I'd probably do a lot better job on the bends and such. (Also if I had hands on experience, which I don't.) From the SOTP it feels 90% better than factory, and 45% better than just the warm JWT Pop Charger.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I like how people think they know what they're talking about when it's obvious they're stupid themselves. Why would you take a Civic a-pipe and recut it, repaint it and refit all the vacuum hose fittings to make it fit on a Sentra when it's obvious you got the bends yourself and cut and painted them that way from scratch.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like how people think they know what they're talking about when it's obvious they're stupid themselves.
You mean like guys that want to think their GA16DE powered 200SX is a GTR? :D

Anyways, so DHO, you apparently scrapped that plastic box that used to be connected to the MAF via a bracket? It appears that your MAF to TB pipe only has two connections, so what'd you do with that small hose the hooked up to that plastic box?

I can't tell for sure from any of the pics what was done with that box and where that hose ended up.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I wondered about that too. I was considering doing my own CAI like that and I studied the pictures and saw the two vacuum line fittings on the straight pipe, and I was adjusting my timing the other day and happen to notice on my stock intake piping there are three fittings. I wondered what happened to that third one.

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
Well, the 3rd little hose was left out. Before I made the intake from Dynomax 180 Degree U-Bends from Jegs.com (I have receipt to prove it for some people), I checked with other people about those fittings. They all told me 2 were needed and that the third one was just junk. I'll be putting my car through the emissions test to find out for sure if that little hose does what it's supposed to do (to help with emissions). I'll get back with ya'll after the inspection.

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
Niss200SXGTR said:
haha, call me stupid slut, i dont care
Hey Niss200SXGTR,

I never wanted to start anything. If you want to call that pipe a civic pipe, then fine, it's okay. I personally would never use such a thing in a Nissan. Let's be cool okay? Sometimes I'd like a little credit here and there for making custom things and actually puting a lot of effort into making my car run good, look good, and perform good. Ever since I've owned my sentra (from when I was 16, now I'm 19) people have always dogged it! I've changed that car sooo much it hurts me to sell it and think of how much money I spent on it. Imagine having an automatic 1.6L sentra go from over a 12.8 in the 1/8th mile down to less than 11.2! I remember when I first driving the sentra, I used a stopwatch an my 0-60mph was 13.2 seconds. When I gutted the car and when I had the bad header and all my other mods, I did 0-60mph in 8.2 seconds! I think that deserves some props for an automatic!

Oh, I forgot to tell you that I used to spend 8hrs a day researching things for the 1.6L sentra's. That was from September of 2001 to now (July 28th). You would not believe how many automatic transmission shops, converter shops, motor building shops, performance shops, and other places that I have talked to make my car faster and better.

Anyway, I spent around $15,000 modding my sentra. That includes a new motor, several transmissions, stall converter, 2 exhaust systems, 3 intake systems, bad pacesetter header, anti-sway bars, strut tower braces, ignition system, 4 sets of wheels & tires, stereo, 19 alternaters, tinted windows, etc. By now, I should have felt better about my car but NO, shops have ripped me off on my daily driven car. For $15,000 on modding my sentra, I could have had over 300whp on a GA or even the SR motor by now! Other than the costs, I've enjoyed driving the Sentra. I kinda fell in love with it because of all the time I spent working on it and all of the other cool things about it. (it was cool for a high schooler's car, neon's, stereo, lowered, looked clean, sounded good from both the exhaust and intake, nice rims, etc.)

Okay, okay, I'll shut up now. My point is, please don't dog people when they try to do the right thing. It really hurts some people's feelings (like mine). :eek:

We all love Nissans so let's cheer up, be friends, and have fun!

God Bless,

Dan

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
Well put, dho.

I know this thread has since died, but let's keep the bad-mouthing on other boards.

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
Okay!

Just kidding, I'm only going to be on the forum for another month or so, just depends on when I move off to college. I've learned a whole lot from this forum and sentra.net and the mailing list and every nissan expert! I'm thankful, I'm pretty sure I know what to do when I start all over again with another Sentra in 4 years.

For the near future I might swap a SR20DET into a 1990 Honda Civic Hatchback! (Getting the car as an economic car for college to keep mind off of modifications on the sentra. Only costing me a little over $150 for the car. Gotta love family!) :D

·
Registered
553 Posts
That swap would piss off a lot of Civic junkies.... I like... ;)

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
Did you hear that pissed off bumble bee drive by?

I plan on doing an exhaust like what I have now on my sentra. Dynomax Ultra-flow's rock! Deep and mellow with a glasspack and resonated tip.... I wonder what a 3" would sound like with a turbo? 3" CAI piping or 3" exhaust..... How come these intakes aren't 2" or something like the exhaust? The intake side of the head only flows at most 30cfm more than that of the exhaust. I thought the intake flow was 89cfm and exhaust was 67cfm.

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
Re: Okay!

dho said:
Just kidding, I'm only going to be on the forum for another month or so, just depends on when I move off to college. I've learned a whole lot from this forum and sentra.net and the mailing list and every nissan expert! I'm thankful, I'm pretty sure I know what to do when I start all over again with another Sentra in 4 years.

For the near future I might swap a SR20DET into a 1990 Honda Civic Hatchback! (Getting the car as an economic car for college to keep mind off of modifications on the sentra. Only costing me a little over $150 for the car. Gotta love family!) :D
I'm pretty sure they allow computers in college these days...lol

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
Yeap, I'm pretty sure they do. :) I'm looking into a Titanium G4 Macintosh laptop. I think it'll be my first investment while going to college.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts