Nissan Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a used PR CAI off of the forums here from James (great seller btw, very communicative and relatively fast shipping). I made a mistake though, I bought an SR20 CAI! I've only got a GA16, and I realized I made this mistake when I tried hooking up the maf-to-TB CAI pipe to the TB.. it's 10 mm bigger than the stock pipe. Should I buy a GA16de maf-to-TB pipe piece? Or should I get a 10mm spacer of somesort so that I can use the SR20 maf-to-TB pipe I got? If I do get a spacer of some sort will the piping diameter negatively or positively (or not at all) affect the CAI's performance?

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
are you 100% sure you got an sr20 CAI?

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes. I know you got one too, right Pete?

Oh and 1900, it was my mistake, I had assumed fromt he beginning that it was a GA16de intake. There's no reason why I should demand my money back. Plus, it's a great product that I got, at a price that is great too.

Anyone have an idea if this will increase the power generated from the CAI? Or will it not matter? Or will it have a negative affect?

Also, James mentioned reducer couplers that are readily available online or at a home improvement center, I guess the whole point of my question is whether or not I should keep the SR20 CAI pipe piece?

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
ok....al the peices fit as in the placement correct? the pipe just seems to large? this happend to me as well, its fine. also, everything should drop right in place (per fitment issues) all you need to do is cut one inch off the MAF end od the CA part. if you have any more problems please post....it took me 2 days to put this SOB on and i have it all figured out :thumbup:

also, i used all the peices that came in the box.

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
wildmane said:
I recently bought a used PR CAI off of the forums here from James (great seller btw, very communicative and relatively fast shipping). I made a mistake though, I bought an SR20 CAI! I've only got a GA16, and I realized I made this mistake when I tried hooking up the maf-to-TB CAI pipe to the TB.. it's 10 mm bigger than the stock pipe. Should I buy a GA16de maf-to-TB pipe piece? Or should I get a 10mm spacer of somesort so that I can use the SR20 maf-to-TB pipe I got? If I do get a spacer of some sort will the piping diameter negatively or positively (or not at all) affect the CAI's performance?
You sure it's a SR20 cai? James had a Ga16... if you bought his old CAI then it should be correct... can you take a picture and post it?

Did it come with silicone couplers? one should be a reducer that attaches to the TB

·
4,571 Posts
1.6pete said:
ok....al the peices fit as in the placement correct? the pipe just seems to large? this happend to me as well, its fine. also, everything should drop right in place (per fitment issues) all you need to do is cut one inch off the MAF end od the CA part. if you have any more problems please post....it took me 2 days to put this SOB on and i have it all figured out :thumbup:

also, i used all the peices that came in the box.
You shouldn't have to cut anything.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
myoung said:
You sure it's a SR20 cai? James had a Ga16... if you bought his old CAI then it should be correct... can you take a picture and post it?

Did it come with silicone couplers? one should be a reducer that attaches to the TB
nah mike, he bought a new PR from the GB, it didnt come with a reducer as much at a straight silicon copuler, just clamp it down and make sure it dosent get a crimp that will alow any air to get in.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
myoung said:
You shouldn't have to cut anything.
trust me 100% when i say i tryed everything within my power not to. once i butcherd my perfect hole i made to get it all in....once it did fit it was crazy tight against my battery and the filter was 2 inches below my bumper.

·
4,571 Posts
James said:
It was a SR20 CAI i had. I originally had a reducer and I was able to use the sr20 CAI no sweat on the GA16. I used couplers from Home Depot (yeah ghetto I know), but I didn't use the CAI very long before I went turbo and you know the rest.
slacker...lol

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
ohhh he did buy it from james... my bad.

I call shenanagans on JAMES.........every one, get your brooms.

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol whoa whoa whoa guys, don't jump on James now, he's not the one that made an ASSumption. I was the one who bought the CAI thinking all along (without asking) that it was a GA16 CAI.

So would anyone be able to tell me if the bigger maf-to-TB pipe will negatively, positively, or neutrally affect performance?

I would think that it would positively help it in a little way, I'd just like some opinions from all of you.

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
wildmane said:
Lol whoa whoa whoa guys, don't jump on James now, he's not the one that made an ASSumption. I was the one who bought the CAI thinking all along (without asking) that it was a GA16 CAI.

So would anyone be able to tell me if the bigger maf-to-TB pipe will negatively, positively, or neutrally affect performance?

I would think that it would positively help it in a little way, I'd just like some opinions from all of you.
id imagine it really wouldnt notice any gains from it being bigger cause the maf will only let so mutch of a volume of air through. so the bigger pipe wont really isnt used up to the full potential....id go for it any ways you will still notice gains from installing it. just not the different between the 2 pipes.

and far as the james thing i just wanted to comment on teh shanangans thing lol.. i wouldnt blame it on him either

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
wildmane said:
I dunno, I haven't had a good shenanagans beating in a while....

go to sr20forum.com and that intake should sale fairly fast.

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I'm gonna keep it, it's already had an inch taken off of it anyway.. Plus I'd have to go through the trouble of finding someone with a GA16 maf-to-TB pipe to sell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts