Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k well im older now done tryin to put a 350z into a pulsar lol (was young and dumb) lol... want to go with the CA18DET but am having trouble finding info on it... i seem to find alot for putting the engine into 240s and 180s but not the pulsar... let along parts for it was wondering if any one can give me some info and maybe a walkthrough type thing... i m weighting on the engine right now im getting it outta Albert through my boss... can anyone suggest a intercooler to use exhaust stuff like that.... the engine has all the wiring harness, ECU, complete engine...ect.. i was told that the engine will have less then 10,000km on it.... when i get it is there any thing i should do to it? Plz lend a hand really wanna get this thing up and goin :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
you were seriously thinkin of puttin a vq into a pulsar????

really?

the ca should be a nice fit, look around and read the stickies in here. there are posts about the swap already.

good luck man

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
k that i know... more or less im asking if there is anything i need to do to the engine before i drop it in and what would be a good set up for exhaust and intercooler... do i have to do any major changes if i wanna put a slightly bigger turbo on... internal or external wastegate whats better... what would be a good BOV... should i install a turbo timer???... am i goin to have to make it all custom pipping? and if so what size of piping should i use for the exhaust

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've got a ca18det in my 90 sentra, I had to use a variety of pulsar parts to make it work.

First off, get a spec stage 2 clutch. You'll also need to get Nistune or a stand alone since they have different fuel maps.

You'll have to get custom exhaust, I cut off the old exhaust flange and had the muffler shop weld a 2.5 inch pipe onto it as well as you need a flex pipe under the engine (just as you have now) the muffler shop can get these for you.

Just go to a tuner shop and have your FMIC installed as well as you BOV etc. Unless your trying to get crazy with the car, just grab a turbo from a sr20det and set it to 10 psi - anymore and you'll have to get larger injectors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so the stock ca18det computer wont work if i just add a fmic..bov...and an exhaust? and what size exhaust pipe should i use... 2.5"...3"? what about for the intercooler... what size piping is good?... any suggestions for a muffler? and as for parts i get a really good discount on them seeings as i work for NAPA... and i have worked as a mechanic and have been in autobody

·
Registered
56 Posts
so the stock ca18det computer wont work if i just add a fmic..bov...and an exhaust? and what size exhaust pipe should i use... 2.5"...3"? what about for the intercooler... what size piping is good?... any suggestions for a muffler? and as for parts i get a really good discount on them seeings as i work for NAPA... and i have worked as a mechanic and have been in autobody
since most turbo cars like lil to know backpressure, you could go 2.5" but I dont think any bigger is worth it on such a small car. I know I will be using 2" on mine, but might keep it na for a bit

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
what would u suggest for a muffler? and cat?
a brand new OEM should be fine. the cat isn't whats restrictive, it's all the bends in a stock exhaust. and the bends are shop bent which is much more restrictive than mandrel. paying extra for a "high performance" cat is silly. as for a muffler, i think a mugen style twin loop might be a good idea for a boosted vehicle. not quite as straight through as a fireball style muffler, but it will provide a better, more tolerable sound.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a brand new OEM should be fine. the cat isn't whats restrictive, it's all the bends in a stock exhaust. and the bends are shop bent which is much more restrictive than mandrel. paying extra for a "high performance" cat is silly. as for a muffler, i think a mugen style twin loop might be a good idea for a boosted vehicle. not quite as straight through as a fireball style muffler, but it will provide a better, more tolerable sound.
kk but like i said i dont pay full price for parts

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
what about fot the intercooler?
for the intercooler, find out what size is best for a pulsar, and then buy whichever company offers the best size.

do you get cost for performance parts, as well as OE replacement? and i meant get a new OEM cat. your OLD one will be restricted because it will be somewhat plugged.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that's not bad. well, see what companies they are dealers for. but napa isnt known around here for being able to get performance parts. at least not from tuner companies.
haha dont know and if not then there r a few places around here that do.... but thats who im getting my engine through ... do u think a 2.5" piping would be good for the intercooler?

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
haha dont know and if not then there r a few places around here that do.... but thats who im getting my engine through ... do u think a 2.5" piping would be good for the intercooler?
depends. i would say that it depends on your intake plenum. the size that it is would be the best idea. but i would be surprised if it was bigger than 2.5". campground man can tell you what size to use.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Absolutely, do not use a ca18de ecu to power a ca18det it will ruin your engine eventually...

You can buy a nistune daughterboard that will re-program your factory ecu to run the new engine, or buy a stand alone, or have someone install a piggy back system for you.

Another option if your going to leave the ca18det stock is to get an ecu with the car and then switch the wiring in the plugs to match the ca18det's wiring diagram - there is a write up about it I'm sure - google it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Absolutely, do not use a ca18de ecu to power a ca18det it will ruin your engine eventually...

You can buy a nistune daughterboard that will re-program your factory ecu to run the new engine, or buy a stand alone, or have someone install a piggy back system for you.

Another option if your going to leave the ca18det stock is to get an ecu with the car and then switch the wiring in the plugs to match the ca18det's wiring diagram - there is a write up about it I'm sure - google it.
like i said before im am getting the stock ecu with the engine... and i dont think there is anyone around here that does anything with car computers... would i be fine putting the intercooler and 2.5" exhaust with just the stock det ecu?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts