Nissan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oke most of us today would recommend SR20DET for 93 240SX right,

Because I like the KA24DE (stock) it has a torque (in fact this engine used in trucks) but its gas consumption is high. and planning to swap it into CA18DET. So what are you going to recommend and does CA18DET runs good. what are the pros and cons of the CA18DET. thanks.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
betrayaljackknife said:
oke most of us today would recommend SR20DET for 93 240SX right,

Because I like the KA24DE (stock) it has a torque (in fact this engine used in trucks) but its gas consumption is high. and planning to swap it into CA18DET. So what are you going to recommend and does CA18DET runs good. what are the pros and cons of the CA18DET. thanks.
Fuel consumption has to be the weirdest reason I've ever heard of to swap in a JDM motor. The fuel consumption difference will not pay for itself. KA24DE is not that much of a gas hog. The $1500 for the CA18DET swap is not going to save you $1500 in gas unless you drive about 70,000 miles a year. You can do the exact math yourself, but if you get a CA18DET, get it because it's a great motor, not because you're too stingy to put gas into your KA24DE.
The CA18DET will drop you massively in torque from KA24DE. It has 15 more hp, and weighs a lot less. It also justifies 180SX tail garnishes. I think CA18DET is viable competition for the SR20, solely because it is so much cheaper. It's a good JDM, turbo, coilpack, DOHC aluminum motor, but it is the smallest and weakest of the JDM swaps. People with KA-t and SR's will pick on you. I think the CA18DET swap is great for the S13 fastbacks because it IS the 180SX motor, but I still think the CA18DET is mostly for CA18 enthusiasts and those who can't afford the SR or RB engines. Along those lines, I think that RB20 is a much better substitution for SR20DET for those who don't want to be mainstream.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts