Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1987 Nissan Silvia RS-X Turbo and it's running on 3 cylinders. I have narrowed it down to the coil but im having problems finding a replacement one. It's an external coil and not the coil on plug type.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,341 Posts
You don't mention what country you are in. We had the CA18DET in the 1987-1988 Nissan 200SX, so I looked it up at Rockauto.com. It appears they used that same coil on a number of Nissans models. It shows several options, including NGK # 48782, Standard Motor Products # UF16 and WVE/Airtex/Wells # 8N3 (economy part) and # 8N3W (standard replacement part). They also show pictures of the part:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=9165888&cc=1208506&jsn=374

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,165 Posts
Hi, I have a 1987 Nissan Silvia RS-X Turbo and it's running on 3 cylinders. I have narrowed it down to the coil but im having problems finding a replacement one. It's an external coil and not the coil on plug type.
Are you sure that your diagnostic procedures are correct; the engine uses only one ignition coil for all of the 4 cylinders. If the coil was bad, it would affect all the 4 cylinders. You might have a bad distributor cap, bad ignition wire for the dead cylinder. The fuel injector for the dead cylinder may not be working.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in the USA but the vehicle is imported from Japan. The CA18DET in it is an old generation one where it dosnt have individual coil packs or a distributor. It has one coil with 4 leads on it that each of the spark plug wires are plugged into. Cylinder 1 is not getting spark from the coil. I wish I could upload a picture on here to show you what I mean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts