Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to this forum, am I over looking a place for pulsar nx s? If so please lead me to it. I have a 1988 pulsar nx s with a 1.8 motor (ca18de) my question is when running down the freeway and the tach is reading 3000 rpm my speed is around 60 mph! Does this sound right? If this is wrong what is your tach reading at 60 mph and 65mph in 5th gear. any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Grm

·
Whore Slut Bitch
464 Posts
You're in the right forum. 60mph at 3000rpm in 5th sounds right to me, but then again I could never get my car to run properly.

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
I've got a GA16i with a 5 speed transplant. At 65mph, I used to run 3500+ rpm. In 5th gear, it runs 3000 rpm @ 65 mph. Oh yeah, and my car currently runs properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why do these engines do that? My ca18de does the same thing. It can be rather annoying when you shift out of first gear @ 3000 rpm only going 15 mph. When I'm going down the highway wanting to go 75 - 85 mph in fifth I'm pushing 4000 rpm which doesn't seem like it would be good at all for the motor but it doesn't make sense that it would be that high in rpm in fifth gear going that speed. Is there any way to change that? When I do my ca18det swap how am I supposed to spare the engine stress when I get up there in the 100 mph range racing? That would be like 6000 rpm in 5th gear. I hear people's stories of races and they say that they were pulling hard in third gear going 100 mph sounds better to me. Peace.

·
Whore Slut Bitch
464 Posts
These cars redline at 7000prm, no?

If there's any explanation, it's that they're economy cars and not meant to be driven at 130mph all the time. As long as you normally keep it in the 4-5k range, there should be no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, but when I get a boosted engine I'll get to high speeds relatively fast and the rpm will climb pretty fast as well, what the hell am I supposed to do cut off the race at 85 mph? I don't know. Yes these engines redline at about 7200 rpm but I never take it up that high anyway, it's uneccesary. Any way of changing the duration of each gear in mph?

·
Whore Slut Bitch
464 Posts
Have you gathered information on the CA18DET? I assure you that upon comparison to the CA18DE it is much different. It is well sought after for a good reason; I don't know if anyone on the forums actually has one right now (other than boost_boy, but he doesn't come around very often anymore) but I know that people have been very happy with it in the past.

Do you race track or drag?

·
Registered
124 Posts
You know just because you have a fast car dosn't mean that you have to drive fast. If a motor redlines at 12k then it's fine to rev to 12k. that wat the motor was built to with stand. so if your drag racing you don't have to stop at 85mph because your at half your rev limit. GOD DAMNIT! JUST DON"T BE A JACK ASS! this is exacly why I hate farries and porches.

BTW: ca18's can be reved to 8500rpm with out any problems, even under boost. If you don't want to rev past 7k then don't even bother racing.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
Sixways, also depends on wathever he has the ca18det or not. Under boost it always seems that you could push it way farther than wath an N/a engine will actually give you.. the real factor is that max torque and hp will rarely be found at the redline...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I guess redlining does give some advantage. When I get near redline and I shift up, the revs go back to where the most torque is at that given gear. But that's just me I guess.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Evoltix said:
Well, I guess redlining does give some advantage. When I get near redline and I shift up, the revs go back to where the most torque is at that given gear. But that's just me I guess.
Bingo, when racing you want to shift so that the next gear is at least in the beginnning of the peak torque range. This is very important for 4cyl engines with very narrow peak torque line. big V8's aren't as picky about it but same concept applies, as long as you aren't overrevving your engine. You'r better off losing cause you can't get back to peak power than you are losing cause you tried to rev higher and the enging went BAM!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts