Nissan Forum banner

CA18DE head to CA20 Block

11K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  Gsolo 
#1 ·
I've heard that you can mate a CA20 block with a ca16/8DE head. What would you need to do this? i have the computer for the ca18de witch I assume will help alot.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
I did look around a bit but I couldn't find anything dinitive. I heard some people say that you can shave the block and use the ca18 rods and you'll still have the same desplacement. I don't know the specs on the ca20 block but it would seem that if the boer was bigger and the crank still had a longer storke that it'd be a bigger motor? I've also herd that you can use the stoke timing blet but it will retard or afvance your timing a bit.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Wow, I sounded retarded in that last post. oh well that's what i get for not sleeping lol. Anyways, would it be worth the time to shave it enough to get the dohc belt to fit?

Discussion starter · #6 ·
I dont' really think that a CA20det would out run a SR20det. It'd be close, but sence the aftermarket parts companys have embrased the SR20 it would be easyer to find high quality parts and in the end produce more power. Why dosn't anyone make cams for the CA**DE's?

Discussion starter · #8 ·
At 10,000 rpm? I don't think that the motor would support that kind of rev limit, esecaly under boost. What makes the ca18 make more power? It just dosn't make sence that it would have a better power capacity but not still be in production.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
i don't much care for the head design. Just the way they set up the valves with the cam straigt on top it sorta wierd. How do you adjust the vale lash? It's just weird to me, I like the honda design more. Too dab i don't have an ass load of money, I'd make a CA20DE with a 12000rpm red line and 500lt-lbs :D It'd slay any honda or Volkwagon :)
the se-r might have an SR but I don't think so.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Ok so what are the options for making a biger CA? We should make a list of the different combos.

There's the way scorpile at nissanexa.com did his.
He used a CA18(sohc) block and bored it out, and a CA16de head that was shaved 1mm. for internals he used CA20 pistons with CA18 crank and rods.

CA16DE: 78mm/83.6mm
CA18DE: 83mm/83.6mm
CA20E: 84.5mm/88mm
ca20 block/CA20 crank = 2055cc
CA20 block/CA18 crank = 2019cc
CA20 Block/CA16 Crank = 1897cc

Option #1:
I think if you used all the CA20 compents, you would need to use shorter rods so you can shave the block to get the timing belt to fit right. youd have the same bore and stroke so the cc's shouldn't change.

Option #2:
Use the CA20 block with the CA18 crank and rods with CA20 pistons. You'd lose a little bit of the stroke but you'd still have a pretty big motor.

Any idea's about these setups?

I wish I had more detailed information about these motors, like how long the rods are, the distance from the top of the crank to the head, and just how much needs to come off of the CA20 block for the head to fit right. Dose anyone have this info?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.