Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering if anyone had a faily good working knowledge of this engine as im a :newbie: to this engine and it is fitted to my uk 1990 s13 the car drives really nice but above 5000 rpm the engine dies but then it comes to life immediately after but it is intermittant so sometimes it doesnt do it and screams all the way to 7000 smoothly took it to nissan for a diagnostics and it showed a faulty airflow meter this was replaced but still it does it i have bought a new actuator to see if its a problem with boost also i have a new ecu which cuts out the FCD but its not fitted at the moment any help would be gratefully received :thumbup: .

·
Tarmac Terrorist
272 Posts
bessell said:
i was just wondering if anyone had a faily good working knowledge of this engine as im a :newbie: to this engine and it is fitted to my uk 1990 s13 the car drives really nice but above 5000 rpm the engine dies but then it comes to life immediately after but it is intermittant so sometimes it doesnt do it and screams all the way to 7000 smoothly took it to nissan for a diagnostics and it showed a faulty airflow meter this was replaced but still it does it i have bought a new actuator to see if its a problem with boost also i have a new ecu which cuts out the FCD but its not fitted at the moment any help would be gratefully received :thumbup: .
PM bridrive55, he has a CA18 in his 240, and seems to know alot about them.
he might have some suggestions if he is not sure!

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
Sure, I have a CA18. I also have a KA24E... I've never experienced the dying problem. If the diagnostic from the dealer showed a bad AFM, and they replaced the AFM, and the problem continues, you're in line for some free labor. I'd just take back to the dealer and create a kafuffle. "Look, bitches, you said it was the AFM, and it wasn't!" I'd also replace the fuel filter.
My thought would actually have been the FCD... Have you installed the new ECU yet?
Problem may also be a faulty TPS. If nothing else works, I'd recommend replacing the entire throttle body assembly with one from a junkyard, if you can pick one up for like 50 quid. Get back to us!

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
What ECU did you get that gets rid of the fuel cut? It really sounds like fuel cut is your problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
bridrive55 said:
What ECU did you get that gets rid of the fuel cut? It really sounds like fuel cut is your problem.

it is a norris deigns (www.norrisdesigns.com check out their s13 most powerful CA18DET outside japan!) stage one ecu although it isnt fitted yet (been to busy :thumbdwn: ) also i dont know what a tps is sorry the dealer has pissed me off they kicked up a stink because i said they were usless *@%*! they didnt even manage to order the right bolts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts