Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 nissan pahtfinder le 3.3 6 cyl

hi, my car had a head gasket leak and i took it to my mechanic to fix it while he was fixing it, he told me my egr valve is broken but instead of replacing it he can just bypass it, now ive spend hours on the internet trying to find out but can anyone tell me if this is a good idea?, will it cause long term damage or cause my engine to run bad?

also can a bad egr valve cause the head gasket to blow?

the whole egr valve is confusing, some sites tell me it will cause damage other say it wont, some say you should bypass it temporarily, some say it can run without it, i just need some clarification, thanks for all your help.

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
If an EGR system wasn't needed on an engine, then the auto manufacturers would save lots of $$$ by not installing it!
Just leave it on there, the way it was manufactured...:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If an EGR system wasn't needed on an engine, then the auto manufacturers would save lots of $$$ by not installing it!
Just leave it on there, the way it was manufactured...:)
i read the only reason they are on there is for enviormental regulation.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i read the only reason they are on there is for enviormental regulation.
More like emission regulation. And a bad EGR vavlue will not blow head gaskets. Try to find a junkyard EGR valve and replace it yourself. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The EGR valve is only their for emissions. any racecar, or supermod engine wont have one.

yeah, just replace it. it will most likely be cheaper, and you can still pass an emission test. its held on by 2 or 3 bolts and has a plug. its not a hard thing to do at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts