·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i get my CAI would it also be wise to get an air bypass valve

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
no. unless your car doubles as a submarine, they arent necessary. ive driven through a hurricane with my hotshot (which doesnt have a bypass) and i was fine.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
i have just put a CAI in my GA.....and if you go through a puddle large enough to flood your intake you should not drive. you would need to go through a puddle high enough to get above your stock fog light hole. yea.......you dont need a by pass valve. now if your car is lowerd more than 2 inches than it may be worth looking into i guess.

·
Registered
281 Posts
what about when you are driving in the rain on the highway and the car in front of you is spraying water at you? Wouldn't some of the water get into the CAI? Yes I know this is a kinda noobish question but it has always been something that I wondered about.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
in that case a bypass valve would do nothing at all. get a straw......cut a hole inthe top of it and put your finger over it. stuck water up threw the straw and let your finger off the hole, thats what a bypass valve is. if you are idleing your engine will flat out stall before any water will be sucked up the intake tube. if your WOT in a 2 foot puddle you deserve ever liter of water you suck up lol. the bypass valve is just an extra "filter" with foam around it so it may defeat the CAI effect. if highway water freaks you out by a rain cover from K&N its made out of nylon like a wind breaker jaket but it may restrict the air flow. i have gone into one of those high pressure car wahses with no problems what so ever. (much more water than the highway.)

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
no, we do not create enough vacuum to do that. you would need the filter totally submersed. a bypass is 99.9% of the time worthless.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
1.6pete said:
in that case a bypass valve would do nothing at all. get a straw......cut a hole inthe top of it and put your finger over it. stuck water up threw the straw and let your finger off the hole, thats what a bypass valve is. if you are idleing your engine will flat out stall before any water will be sucked up the intake tube. if your WOT in a 2 foot puddle you deserve ever liter of water you suck up lol. the bypass valve is just an extra "filter" with foam around it so it may defeat the CAI effect. if highway water freaks you out by a rain cover from K&N its made out of nylon like a wind breaker jaket but it may restrict the air flow. i have gone into one of those high pressure car wahses with no problems what so ever. (much more water than the highway.)
Actually this is wrong, it does not defeat the CAI effect as it actually is closed until the intake sucks up water, when it does it closes the CAI off and takes air in through the bypass valve.

Lowered car for 3 years several autocrosses in the rain without issue.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
I agree the water has to climb up your intake which is nearly impossible... unless you run without a filter... and your engine is not really that efficient serving as a sump pump... I drove thru a rainy season without any problems with a HS full stack... puddles of water... the only thing... the chrome on the filter started to rust cause it sits in your wheel well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts