Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
So tonight I'm going to remove the balance shafts from my Spec. Currently have 1875 miles on the Spec and have relocated the knock sensor and installed the AEM CAI w/ Bypass valve. Oil was changed at 1500 for first time and its getting fresh oil again tonight 5w-30 Valvoline. I must say that the Spec is really moving, cant wait to feel it with the balance shafts out. I'll keep you all posted, but so far I highly recommend the AEM CAI not only does it give you noticable gains, but damn it sounds perty :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
CopperSol said:
Ok,
and installed the AEM CAI w/ Bypass valve

:) Let us know how it goes!

As for the AEM Cai, did it come witht he bypass valve? I thought there was no cai for the spec V that came with a bypass valve?

Thanks,

Tigs

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DAMNIT!!!! Everytime I go to remove them, something happens and I cant do it. It's been overdue for over a week now.... I want my extra 8whp :mad:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excuse my ignorance, but whats the point of the bypass valve for the AEM CAI and how hard would it be too add?

thanks.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't worry, I'll excuse this blatantly ignorant question just this once ... lol jk :D

What it does is this ... if you were to be drinking soda with a straw, and half way up you would cut holes in the straw, it would be wayy wayyy hard to get soda passed those holes wouldn't it .... trust me it can save you're car.

It's really easy to make it fit on our cars. Just let me know when you buy it.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it would be helpful to all if someone could make a web page with photo instructions for the CAI bypass valve. Just a suggestion for someone with a digital camera and a little time to kill.

·
No Nissan Yet
139 Posts
question for you guys, maybe you can help me understand this. why in the world would you take out balance shafts in a motor? i know what they do and i know they have some weight to them, but what are you gaining? why would you want to unbalance an engine? it sound like you want to destroy it or cut its lifespan in half. also, i assume you wouldnt be able to rev this thing high if removed. Ok you get 8 horses to the wheels. is it worth the trouble and the expense for the engine? i would find somewhere else to make my 8 horses. please someone explain this to me. maybe the new Nissans do something differently?:confused:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I FINALLY GOT THEM REMOVED LAST NIGHT!!!!!!

I was at a friends shop. He's quite experienced with everything motorsports related. That crap took us 3 hours!!!

I was using a post from b15sentra.net as a guide to the removal ... everything that was supposed to be "simple" according to the install was a mission.

I strongly recommend the average do-it-yourselfer DOES NOT attempt to remove his balance shafts. The unit itself is a BIATCH to get out. Unless you got a bolt cutter, the chain could take a few minutes. Cutting the 4 main bolts down 2" with a grinder took a little while. There is one bolt (10mm) holding the cover to the chain on. It wont slide out when loosened. You can get it completely loose but the head of the bolt hits the casing just a hair too shy for that bolt to come out ... so more wrestling involve.

What I found hilarious was the one step that was said to take him forever ... (reaching a 10mm bolt and removing it) took me all of 4 seconds.

BUT I LOVE IT!!!!! great great mod ... actually no ... its horrible um it blew my motor ... nobody else do this mod. Leave the extra wheel ponies for me .... :D

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
CopperSol said:
I FINALLY GOT THEM REMOVED LAST NIGHT!!!!!!

I strongly recommend the average do-it-yourselfer DOES NOT attempt to remove his balance shafts. The unit itself is a BIATCH to get out. Unless you got a bolt cutter, the chain could take a few minutes. Cutting the 4 main bolts down 2" with a grinder took a little while. There is one bolt (10mm) holding the cover to the chain on. It wont slide out when loosened. You can get it completely loose but the head of the bolt hits the casing just a hair too shy for that bolt to come out ... so more wrestling involve.

BUT I LOVE IT!!!!! great great mod ... actually no ... its horrible um it blew my motor ... nobody else do this mod. Leave the extra wheel ponies for me .... :D
As a note, JWT now has a kit that makes this easyer. The kit also contains a oil pan baffle and windage tray that further increses power by stripping the friction causing windage away from the crank.

The baffle also reduces the chances of oil starvation under cornering loads.

See this months issue of nissan performance magazine for pictures and an article. Nissan performance magazine is also planning an installation article and a dyno test of this kit.

Mike

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know ... don't need it. Next oil change i will be fabricating my own design for the windage tray.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
between the maf and filter .... all you need to do is cut the adapter plate to the maf just enough to get rid of that ridge and the bypass valve will fit perfectly.

·
Registered
674 Posts
SRV1 said:
question for you guys, maybe you can help me understand this. why in the world would you take out balance shafts in a motor? i know what they do and i know they have some weight to them, but what are you gaining? why would you want to unbalance an engine? it sound like you want to destroy it or cut its lifespan in half. also, i assume you wouldnt be able to rev this thing high if removed. Ok you get 8 horses to the wheels. is it worth the trouble and the expense for the engine? i would find somewhere else to make my 8 horses. please someone explain this to me. maybe the new Nissans do something differently?:confused:

I agree.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
BORNGEARHEAD said:
There is nothing to agree with that statement, it is wrong, it will not unbalance your engine. It is a race proven safe mod that gives 8-10 hp to the wheels when combined with JWT's windage tray pan baffle and 6-8 hp to the wheels when done alone.

Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
i just ordered the kit. A friend of mine is going to do the install on nov 24. Then my club is having a meet at Gainesville raceway on dec 6th, so I will see what i get. I only have an aem and a universal exhaust. I am waiting on the aebs header and for greddy to come out with their exhuast.

·
Registered
29 Posts
morepower2 said:
There is nothing to agree with that statement, it is wrong, it will not unbalance your engine. It is a race proven safe mod that gives 8-10 hp to the wheels when combined with JWT's windage tray pan baffle and 6-8 hp to the wheels when done alone.

Mike
But Mike why did the factory put it there? They freak about every penny that a car costs them to make, and this balance shaft assembly looks quite elaborate and expensive (remember 100k+ engines per year at least).

Logically you would think if the factory spent that kind of money on it, it's not for just creature comfort vibrational reasons, but for engine integrity/longevity.

Although I am not on the inside track with Nissan as you are, it makes no sense to me that they would do it as tight and bean-counter like as factories are. That is unless you can explain their reasons.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts