Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to go look at a 93 se-r in a couple of days the tag in the window says 150k, new trans, and not much else. it looks in decent shape and she is asking 1500. seems like a steal to me but i was wondering what i should do when i look at it/test drive to see what other problems there might be.

thanx

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
I just went to look at a sentra for my friend the other day. What I do when I check out a new ride is bring along a flashlight and a pair of latex gloves. The flashlight to look into those hard to see areas, looking for radiator corrosion, leaky fluids in mysterious places. Things of that nature. And of course have it for night time inspections. Then I bring the gloves so that I can scrape my fingers on each one of the inside of the tires to try to find axle grease. This would mean broken cv axle boots. Pop the hood, look for things that are supposed to be there, like Power steering resevoir (check fluid on that), air conditioning belts and hardlines. Bring along a ratchet and 5/8 spark plug socket to check the plugs. Look for oil or anything funny on them. They will tell stories as to how the motor runs. Of course check the oil, brake fluid, tranny fluid, and any other fluid that i didn't mention. Test the clutch. See if it grabs well. Listen for any knocking or clicking in the motor. If your real picky, bring along a voltage meter to check the battery. Here in the desert, we have to worry about battery water getting dried up all the time. Ummm.. I'm out of things to check for, for now.

Oh, I forgot. Check for door sag. My car has lots in the driver side door. See if everything opens and shuts well. Make sure all the gauges work properly like the trip odometer, odometer, speedometer.. etc. Look for all the standard roadside stuff. See if its all still there.

·
B13 Owner since 90
134 Posts
Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aiata said:
i am going to go look at a 93 se-r in a couple of days the tag in the window says 150k, new trans, and not much else. it looks in decent shape and she is asking 1500. seems like a steal to me but i was wondering what i should do when i look at it/test drive to see what other problems there might be.

thanx
Are you somewhere on the east coast??

Things to check out, the sagging doors, external leaks fron engine and tranny. Check for rust, take for test drive notice any rattles, creaks, etc. Also go to Carfax and get a vehicle history and see if the car had been any accidents. Check for Bondo on fenders and quarter panels. And follow the last 2 messages. This will help you a good decision.

Q in Sac

1 - 5 of 5 Posts