Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well i looked at a 99 gxe special edition yesterday- has 198k on it, auto, only issue that i forsee is the a/c doesnt work(crack in one of the lines). she has serviced it routinely, tranny was flushed and everything changed last year, new brakes, new tires, etc. couple things i was told- trunk key doesnt work, needs to be opened from inside, the turn signal switch doesnt snap back into position after making a turn, small rust spot on hood, visor broke but i have a replacement she bought.

other than that the car looks pretty solid. anything else i should look for, keep an eye on? she is asking $1k for it. she was asking $2k, but she bought another car so she is trying to unload it. ill be using it on my 65 mile road trip commute, and thats about it. like i asked, any major issues with this year? any problems?

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Seems to be a good price. Is this a SR20 or GA16 if its a SE ?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I am not that high a mileage yet but many others here are.
From reading here the chains start to rattle and need a upper tensioner somewhere around 150 to 220 Kmiles. There is a sticky or two on how to replace this. you don't normally need the whole timing chain set.
Check the front crank seal by the main pulley, it leaks from 50k miles up.
Other than that just general stuff, check the CV boots, ball joints etc.
You will know a lot from the mileage and Oil consumption you get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i started it and revved it sounded fine, it was night but i didnt see any leaks. she says it doesnt leak anything. ill have to take another look at it. basic stuff i know will need replaced. how much to ball joints/cvs run on these?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I havent done mine yet, but folks here say 50 -80 each axle.
You might try Rock auto online for some idea on prices.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well here's my thoughts. I just bought a 96 with similar miles and there are always a few little issues to take care of like the upper tensioner(I would do it whether you here anything or not with that milage) I would also be looking around for oil leaks namely the valve cover gasket and crank seal these two are leakers for sure and are real easy to do other than that I'm hoping these auto transmissions can go a long way,in fact I'm counting on it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well here's my thoughts. I just bought a 96 with similar miles and there are always a few little issues to take care of like the upper tensioner(I would do it whether you here anything or not with that milage) I would also be looking around for oil leaks namely the valve cover gasket and crank seal these two are leakers for sure and are real easy to do other than that I'm hoping these auto transmissions can go a long way,in fact I'm counting on it!
yea how much did the tensioner part cost? i really dont feel like messing with it but i will. i asked the owner and the balljoints/cvs have never been replaced. the timing chain has never been touched either... damnit!:mad:

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think it was 60 bucks not bad but I highly recamend it with that much milage. The more the chain wears into it the more it falls apart and goes into the pan and posibly clogging the pump screen. You got a better deal than me since we paid the same but I think either way we will get some more use out of them. My big worry is the trany?? Just how long will it last?????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts