Nissan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
nice. Your story sounds similar to mine, except I paid $2000 from a friend to buy my 96 200SX SE 5sp with 130K miles almost 2 years ago.

The oil leak he mentioned may be a leaky rear main seal. When I bought mine, I knew of various cheap problems (that was one of them). Thankfully the car has lasted me 40K miles (170K now) with no major problems other than needing a new clutch at 163K.

These are great beater cars. Many desired creature comforts, and GREAT gas mileage, cheap insurance, all for a very low price, especially in your case.

Congrats!

· Registered
127 Posts
DCR said:
Yeah, I am going to really comb it through this weekend and then decide on it.

From what I gather...are any of the possible oil leaks "life-threatening" to the engine as they pertain to this car? I don't know where it is yet, but I would like to know if a specific one is a slam-dunk for a major problem.
on the GA16 engine that is in the car (unless its an SE-R), the rear main seal is a very common problem which does not cause any major problems, other than having to put oil in the car often. Once I had that fixed (around $250 total), the oil leak problems were gone. I don't know why the market underrates the value of these cars. In my opinion this car has had as few problems if not fewer than my stock 97 honda prelude that pretty much died at 160K.

a 95 civic would cost you thousands to purchase. This car is much cheaper, and probably just as reliable.

· Registered
127 Posts
when my crankshaft seal was leaking, I'd have to put in about 1 quart per week. It doesn't leak on the ground hardly at all in the driveway.

You will notice the rear of the car always looks somewhat dirty. That is from the oil leaking underneath while the car is running, and driving.

I guarantee that is your problem. rear main crankshaft seal. Many others on here have had the same issue.

If you replace it yourself (there are instructions somewhere on here), the part is like $15-20.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.