Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new poster, but I have searched around quite a bit before registering and posting.

The story:

A friend of mine mentions to me that he has a 1995 Nissan 200SX sitting in his driveway, doing nothing since he bought a new car. He was going to literally scrap this car...have it towed and sold for scrap. I am totally new to Nissan, so I would like to ask the experts here about this car, and if I should buy it from my friend for $350. I need a general use vehicle to give my other cars a rest from time to time, and this may be what I am after.

It is a 5 Speed with the 1.6 L GA16DE engine, 110,000 miles, and generally not taken care of. Cosmetically, it needs a little work. The parts I would need off the bat are:

Front grill, Driver-side Mirror, Passenger front seat belt, the heater switch resistor (only setting 4 works..found that here too), front right corner assembly for the driving light and t-signal, and the muffler is disconnected from the pipe that runs to the front of the car...and I don't know if that is easy to repair on this car or not.

I have found most of these parts for quite cheap..so I don't mind the minor cost there. Also, parts store links are welcome.

He would go 25,000-30,000 miles at some points without an oil change, which is extremely stupid, but the situation is what it is. The car sat for 6 months, through a Michigan winter and started on the first turn, so it seems strong to some degree. I couldn't drive it yet, but from just starting it and moving through the gears, the clutch felt tight and the gears didn't clunk or grind in any way...so I think the clutch and tranny are OK.

My friend is totally honest about the history of the car, what works and what doesn't, and that he has never been stranded on the side of the road or had engine problems of any kind. One consideration is that the car doesn't have to last me 100,000 miles, but there is a possibility it could if I can get involved and take care of it well from this point on.

My biggest concern and main deterrent is that the car has an oil leak, so he states, and I assume it is the front gasket that I have found to be a common problem with this car from reading this informative site. I am not a mechanic, but I am mechanically inclined, so I think I could handle that part of it..but if not I know enough mechanics who could.

So, my main question is:

What should I look for specifically that should make me avoid this car totally? Are there other bad oil leaks that could be far worse than the common one? Considering the $350 price, and the fact that the only things that need addressing mechanically are the oil leak...I would like to hear your opinions.

·
TRIPPLITE COMMAND CONSOLE
109 Posts
DCR said:
I am a new poster, but I have searched around quite a bit before registering and posting.

The story:

A friend of mine mentions to me that he has a 1995 Nissan 200SX sitting in his driveway, doing nothing since he bought a new car. He was going to literally scrap this car...have it towed and sold for scrap. I am totally new to Nissan, so I would like to ask the experts here about this car, and if I should buy it from my friend for $350. I need a general use vehicle to give my other cars a rest from time to time, and this may be what I am after.

It is a 5 Speed with the 1.6 L GA16DE engine, 110,000 miles, and generally not taken care of. Cosmetically, it needs a little work. The parts I would need off the bat are:

Front grill, Driver-side Mirror, Passenger front seat belt, the heater switch resistor (only setting 4 works..found that here too), front right corner assembly for the driving light and t-signal, and the muffler is disconnected from the pipe that runs to the front of the car...and I don't know if that is easy to repair on this car or not.

I have found most of these parts for quite cheap..so I don't mind the minor cost there. Also, parts store links are welcome.

He would go 25,000-30,000 miles at some points without an oil change, which is extremely stupid, but the situation is what it is. The car sat for 6 months, through a Michigan winter and started on the first turn, so it seems strong to some degree. I couldn't drive it yet, but from just starting it and moving through the gears, the clutch felt tight and the gears didn't clunk or grind in any way...so I think the clutch and tranny are OK.

My friend is totally honest about the history of the car, what works and what doesn't, and that he has never been stranded on the side of the road or had engine problems of any kind. One consideration is that the car doesn't have to last me 100,000 miles, but there is a possibility it could if I can get involved and take care of it well from this point on.

My biggest concern and main deterrent is that the car has an oil leak, so he states, and I assume it is the front gasket that I have found to be a common problem with this car from reading this informative site. I am not a mechanic, but I am mechanically inclined, so I think I could handle that part of it..but if not I know enough mechanics who could.

So, my main question is:

What should I look for specifically that should make me avoid this car totally? Are there other bad oil leaks that could be far worse than the common one? Considering the $350 price, and the fact that the only things that need addressing mechanically are the oil leak...I would like to hear your opinions.

I would. buy it from your friend.
That seems good to me.. not too many problems, and you seem to know what needs to be done with the car. If you decide you don't want it, tell me. I will get it.

but yeah why not.. you'll fall in love with the nissan as I did. ;)

:cheers:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd snap it up if I were you. Sounds like you've identified most of the problems and you know where on this site to get the info you need to fix these. I'd buy it, drain/replace fluids, filters, inspect rubber hoses, belts, look at the tires for uneven wear and just give it a good once over. It sounds like many of the items you listed are "fix it when you get time" type problems and do not affect the road-worthiness of this car.

One thing you may want to do, given the oil change history of this car, is remove the valve cover and look at the valvetrain to see how gunked up things are. That should give you a feel for the overall "health" of the oil passages throughout the engine. Remember to use all new gaskets when putting the valve cover back on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds pretty encouraging so far. I should also mention that the tires are all new, so that helps.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
i would say for $350 you cant go wrong. and even with the engines history its still worth the cash. i would buy it just because of the tranny. i have the sentra with the same engine but an auto and a tranny swap would cost about $500+all the time it would take me. so get the car, and if need be swap in a new GA, they are quite cheap. or swap in an SR20 later down the road. but for the time being it is an extrmly reliable car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1.6pete said:
i would say for $350 you cant go wrong. and even with the engines history its still worth the cash. i would buy it just because of the tranny. i have the sentra with the same engine but an auto and a tranny swap would cost about $500+all the time it would take me. so get the car, and if need be swap in a new GA, they are quite cheap. or swap in an SR20 later down the road. but for the time being it is an extrmly reliable car.
Cool...I appreciate the info. Do you guys have any links or ideas for the misc. parts I have listed?

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
-junk yards

-the classifieds on www.sr20forum.com

-greg v at mossy nissan (pm "gregV)

-classifieds here.

look for any and all b14 part outs, you can buy the stuff you need super cheap.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, for things like the corner lights and grille and whatnot, if you're patient they appear in the classifieds section of this forum fairly often for very good prices. Or there's also your local junkyard. I've saved a couple hundred dollars pulling parts off the 8-10 b13's in the junkyard near me. Other than those, mossy performance is pretty good for new oem and aftermarket items for this car.

Why is it no one ever offers to sell me their (working) car for $350?

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
oh! ebay! ebay is great for headlights and things, i was just on ebay. search "sentra headlight" and they have many b14 stock headlights and clear corners <stock style but a clear reflector instead of orange) or you can order crystal clear lights from our guy liu, http://www.liuspeedtuning.com/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep...found some real cheap stuff on Ebay so far...

...now the wife is giving me grief over the 200SX..."We don't need that".

I don't remember this being a joint decision, however. :)

·
yesss...
406 Posts
1.6pete said:
oh! ebay! ebay is great for headlights and things, i was just on ebay. search "sentra headlight" and they have many b14 stock headlights and clear corners <stock style but a clear reflector instead of orange) or you can order crystal clear lights from our guy liu, www.liuspeed.com
www.liuspeedtuning.com .. yer welcome pete :cool:

·
Banned
4,308 Posts

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
DCR said:
Yep...found some real cheap stuff on Ebay so far...

...now the wife is giving me grief over the 200SX..."We don't need that".

I don't remember this being a joint decision, however. :)

If you buy the 200sx, you'll be very angry at your wife for saying "We don't need that." :thumbup:

I would totally snag that thing for $350

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wildmane said:
If you buy the 200sx, you'll be very angry at your wife for saying "We don't need that." :thumbup:

I would totally snag that thing for $350
Yeah...I make decisions with reason and logic, while she makes decisions with emotion and hairspray.

We both lease cars, and at $0.15 per mile over the lease agreement of 12000 miles per year, she alone will cost us $1000 by the end. This has never been a problem, but an employer change now forces her to drive extra miles.

Besides, who doesn't want a car to mess around with, and one to take the wear and tear out of the other vehicles?

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
DCR said:
Yes...very newly married. This is simply the beginning of my "taming".
dont give in! my mom made my dad get rid of awsome stuff like a giant wall rug of "dogs playing poker" now im minus one giant wall rug for my app. :(

·
Registered
122 Posts
nice. Your story sounds similar to mine, except I paid $2000 from a friend to buy my 96 200SX SE 5sp with 130K miles almost 2 years ago.

The oil leak he mentioned may be a leaky rear main seal. When I bought mine, I knew of various cheap problems (that was one of them). Thankfully the car has lasted me 40K miles (170K now) with no major problems other than needing a new clutch at 163K.

These are great beater cars. Many desired creature comforts, and GREAT gas mileage, cheap insurance, all for a very low price, especially in your case.

Congrats!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WRXrob said:
nice. Your story sounds similar to mine, except I paid $2000 from a friend to buy my 96 200SX SE 5sp with 130K miles almost 2 years ago.

The oil leak he mentioned may be a leaky rear main seal. When I bought mine, I knew of various cheap problems (that was one of them). Thankfully the car has lasted me 40K miles (170K now) with no major problems other than needing a new clutch at 163K.

These are great beater cars. Many desired creature comforts, and GREAT gas mileage, cheap insurance, all for a very low price, especially in your case.

Congrats!
Yeah, I am going to really comb it through this weekend and then decide on it.

From what I gather...are any of the possible oil leaks "life-threatening" to the engine as they pertain to this car? I don't know where it is yet, but I would like to know if a specific one is a slam-dunk for a major problem.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts